Hi all! Rutgers gained the most yards of any Michigan opponent in the 2018 season. Rutgers! To put that in context, Rutgers gained 82% of the total yards MSU gained against Michigan in a single play. That single play was the longest play from scrimmage (80 yards) for Rutgers since they joined the Big Ten in 2014.
So, what happened? It was a combination of a couple rough plays from Devin Gil & Brad Hawkins and clever play-design from the Scarlet Knights. In other words, the play-design lined up well with the plays that Michigan performed poorly on. Luckily, this is Rutgers and things like that don't really matter.
Hopefully, Don Brown will be ready for in the coming games with these wrinkles added to the film. Check out the 6 plays below to look at these shortcomings.
10.1.1 - Q1 14:19 - 2nd & 7 - RU28 - 19 yard run
- Two crack blocks from #83 and #15 seal the edge for this big gain. Hawkins needs to do a better job to recognize the crack block and set the edge. Instead, 4 defenders are taken out by these 2 blocks.
10.1.2 - Q1 0:39 - 1st & 10 - RU20 - 80 yard TD run
- 3 players spring this.
- Gil loses his gap assignment, overruns to the same gap Mone is covering.
- Winovich plays the end-around action wayyyy too hard. Gives up huge lane inside.
- Hawkins is late to rotate to center of field to replace Kinnel, takes bad angle.
10.1.3 - Q2 4:25 - 2nd & 8 - RU22 - 19 yard run
- Gil commits hard inside - a bit too far for my liking. I think Winovich crashes a bit too hard inside here. Leaves the edge for H-back to pick up Kinnel and not enough room to react to the wildcat QB on the edge.
10.1.4 - Q3 10:23 - 2nd & 8 - RU20 - 17 yard pass
- Would like to see Watson get a bit more depth in his drop, here. Both DEs are ready for a screen pass, as Rutgers ran those all game and rarely actually dropped back. Nice throw.
10.1.5 - Q3 4:24 - 3rd & 11 - RU11 - 17 yard run
- Motion of the h-back seems to take both Hudson and Kinnel to the wrong side of the play. WRs go downfield to clear DBs, which works well. Uche gets sealed off on the edge, which opens up this run.
10.1.6 - Q4 13:45 - 3rd & 4 - RU25 - 14 yard pass
- Late blitz from Michigan, but the quick throw doesn’t allow time for the pressure to get to the QB. Mesh route across the middle, pick route on the outside, which trips up Watson a bit. Missed tackle for the first down, as well.
- Ep. 9.0 - Negative Plays vs. PSU
- Ep. 9.1 - PSU - Offensive Chunk Plays
- Ep. 9.2 - PSU - Defensive Success
Twitter - yell at me, say hi, offer suggestions / criticism