[Note on these posts: Yes, gifs are very bandwith-heavy, which is why we put all but one below the jump. There's not really a way around this that doesn't involve people having to click through to a new page for every gif, which isn't exactly ideal. If your page is lagging severely, try hitting 'escape' on your keyboard (unless you have Chrome, in which case you're SOL), which will stop the animation, then you can right-click and hit 'view image' to open each gif individually.]
We're expanding the MGoGifs beyond recapping each game; starting this week, we'll be taking a look ahead with gifs of great (or at least gif-tacular) moments from past games against Michigan's upcoming opponent. So, today's One Frame At A Time features Northwestern gifs of yore, and there's only one place to begin—Jason Avant's absurd one-handed catch in 2003's 41-10 victory.
First, however, I just want to thank everyone who sent in suggestions on Twitter, and also express my eternal gratitude to WolverineHistorian, whose videos provided the source material for most of these. The man is a treasure. And now, here's Avant:
[When you've finished watching that on a loop for, oh, 20 minutes, hit THE JUMP for the rest of the gifs.]
1992 (Michigan 40 - Northwestern 7) — This pretty much sums up Northwestern football pre-1995:
1997 (Michigan 23 - Northwestern 6) — Brian Griese slips the grasp of a blitzing linebacker and hits a wide-open Jerame Tuman for the touchdown:
1997 (Michigan 23 - Northwestern 6) — Charles Woodson undercuts, intercepts, sideline reacts accordingly:
1998 (Michigan 12 - Northwestern 6) — Justin Fargas slogs through rain, mud, tackles:
2004 (Michigan 42 - Northwestern 20) — Steve Breaston breaks a tackle, simultaneously changes direction, and then goes straight gazelle on a 66-yard punt return TD:
Bonus gifs, linked instead of embedded for bandwith-saving purposes:
- 1991 (Michigan 59 - Northwestern 14) — Desmond Howard's school-record 20th touchdown in a season and the NCAA-record-tying 30th career TD connection from Elvis Grbac to Howard comes on the first play from scrimmage.*
- 1992 (Michigan 40 - Northwestern 7) — A freshman Mercury Hayes with a pretty spectacular garbage-time touchdown catch from backup Todd Collins.
- 1998 (Michigan 12 - Northwestern 6) — Tom Brady hits Tai Streets for the game's lone touchdown.
- 2011 (Michigan 42 - Northwestern 24) — Jordan Kovacs with a critical fourth-down stop in an eventual come-from-behind victory.
- 2011 (Michigan 42 - Northwestern 24) — Will Campbell sacks Dan Persa, does Will Campbell things.
*This game wasn't televised, so of course WolverineHistorian compiled home video shot from the stands and the sideline and synced it up with the radio broadcast. Again, he's a treasure.