Dance if you're the starting slot receiver.
Michigan released their game notes for Appalachian State, and they contain the depth chart as it stands right now. Keep in mind that OL Graham Glasgow (suspension), TE Jake Butt (knee), and S Delano Hill (jaw) are omitted—Hill is the only one of the three who could potentially be cleared for action by Saturday.
|MICHIGAN OFFICIAL DEPTH CHART (as of 8/25)|
|QB||D. Gardner||S. Morris|
|RB||D. Green||D. Smith||
D. Johnson OR
|FB||J. Kerridge||S. Houma|
|WR||D. Funchess||A. Darboh|
|WR||J. Chesson||F. Canteen|
|Slot||D. Norfleet||B. Dever|
|TE||A.J. Williams||K. Hill|
|LT||M. Cole||E. Magnuson|
|LG||E. Magnuson||K. Bosch|
|C||J. Miller||P. Kugler|
J. Burzynski OR
|RT||B. Braden||L. Tuley-Tillman|
|SDE||B. Beyer||T. Charlton|
B. Mone OR
|DT||W. Henry||M. Godin|
|WDE||F. Clark||M. Ojemudia|
J. Ryan OR
J. Bolden OR
R. Jenkins-Stone OR
|FS||J. Wilson||A. J. Pearson|
|SS||J. Clark||D. Thomas|
T. Richardson OR
R. Taylor OR
|Nickel||J. Peppers||D. HOLLOWELL|
|P||W. Hagerup||M. Wile|
|K||M. Wile||K. Allen|
|PR||J. Peppers||D. Norfleet|
|KR||D. Norfleet||J. Hayes|
|LS||S. Sypniewski||A. Robinson|
|H||K. Allen||S. Morris|
[Overanalysis section, after the jump]
Before delving into analysis of the enormous ramifications of this depth chart, a reminder: Michigan listed Devin Funchess as the #4 TE on the depth chart for much of his freshman year, and heading into the 2012 opener Ricky Barnum and Elliott Mealer swapped spots on the starting O-line seemingly hours before kickoff. These things tend to be fluid.
That said, let the breathless overanalysis begin:
DeVeon SmithDerrick Green (I can totally read, guys) has emerged from the pile of running back to stand atop the depth chart.
- Jehu Chesson currently holds a starting spot over Amara Darboh across from Devin Funchess. All of us may look pretty stupid.
- Dennis Norfleet is your starting slot, while the coaches are listing Freddy Canteen as a backup outside receiver for the moment.
- The O-line is as expected except for right guard, where Joey Burzynski and Kyle Bosch are competing for Graham Glasgow's spot in the opening day lineup. Guessing Kyle Kalis' back is still bothering him, but not enough to keep him from donning a uniform.
- Ryan Glasgow ahead of Bryan Mone and Ondre Pipkins at the nose may have been foretold in the open scrimmage, but it's still one of the more surprising selections on the two-deep. Regardless, that spot gets a lot of rotation.
- Another D-line surprise: Matt Godin ahead of Chris Wormley to back up Willie Henry at 3-tech, and no Maurice Hurst Jr. on the list at all.
- Every single linebacker spot has an 'OR' at starter. I'd take that more seriously at the two outside spots—and note that RJS is listed above Ross at SLB—and safely assume that Desmond Morgan is going to get his fair share of playing time. Brian might still eat a lemon, though, as a loss by technicality is still a loss.
- The returning starters at corner hold onto their spots for now, though Jourdan Lewis has already moved into co-starter territory.
- Jabrill Peppers is not just the starting nickel, but also the #1 punt returner.
- The only true freshmen on the two-deep are Mason Cole, Canteen, Mone, and Peppers. This is major progress from the last few seasons.