Moderator Action Sticky 2018

Submitted by Seth on April 26th, 2018 at 7:17 AM

New offseason, new moderator sticky.

READ THIS FIRST:

--------------------------------------

What this thread is for: It's an ad-hoc way of tracking what threads and comments get removed. Mods that remove a thread should post the title here with a brief reason as to why the thread is gone.

Don't comment in this thread unless you have to: if you leave an irrelevant comment in this thread it will be deleted (see: "cumbrously long").

--------------------------------------

Things we moderate a lot:

1. Politics. Don’t you get enough of this everywhere else?
  2. Noise/snowflakes. We ask our moderators to try really hard not to censor ideas but some ideas are so tiresome and retread and badly argued that they’re not worth keeping around. If you’re getting a substantial amount of downvotes we’ll look to see if you’re posting an unpopular opinion that you can support. If you can’t support it politely and rationally, or if you don’t acknowledge the holes in your argument, it’s noise.
  3. Useless content from other sites. Clickbait is annoying. 247, WTKA always get the benefit of the doubt.
  4. The Drew Sharp Memorial Don’t Feed the Professional Trolls Rule. Pete Finebaum has taken the place of the late Sharp. Valenti and Chatsports are the other two on the ban list. Bleacher Report is off the list but still under close observation.
  5. Bewbs and general misogyny/objectifying of women. We tried one year of this and our female readership shot up after being really low. This means it’s a good rule: however much you enjoy cutting loose with the guys, we have tens of thousands of readers it drives away.

Hall of Stickies Past:

The first, the second, the third. the fourth. The fifth. The sixth. The seventh.

Great Moments in Moderation:

Comments

OMG Shirtless

May 16th, 2018 at 4:33 PM ^

This thread is still up: http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/msu-settles-victims-500-million

and

This thread was deleted: http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/500000000-nassars-victims

Your comments must have been in the thread that was deleted.

EDIT: Your comments were in the thread that ended up getting deleted.

LSAClassOf2000

May 30th, 2018 at 12:34 PM ^

OT: Christian Day at the Ballpark

I don't see any way this ultimately ends well, and politics and religion are two "just no" situations around here anyway. I applaud the OP for trying to frame it in a matter-of-fact, non-judgmental way, but that never seems to work around here. Someone will probably bitch that I pulled it too early, but I am afraid of what it might be when I come back to this in a few hours.

RoseInBlue

June 6th, 2018 at 7:22 AM ^

How come when I type in mgoblog.com, it still takes me to the joke 90s page?  I can't seem to get back to the actual new homepage.  Even by clicking the Mgoblog banner at the top.

Seth

June 6th, 2018 at 9:27 AM ^

Clear your cache. Your computer saves a copy of the websites you visit so it can load them faster when you go back there. If you're using Chrome or Firefox, hit ctrl-shift-delete and clear your cache. If you're using IE, download Chrome or Firefox, and don't tell anybody you were still using IE in 2018. I'm not sure how you do it in Safari: probably have to set up an appointment at the Apple Store for a "Genius" to do it for you, because Apple thinks its users are all 3-year-olds.

ChalmersE

June 6th, 2018 at 10:58 AM ^

I've tried in IE, which I never use, and had not brought up the joke site; EDGE, and Chrome.  I've cleared cache and am now logging into sites, I haven't had to log into for years, but I still get the bad site.  BTW, the one place I'm good:  on my iPAD.

rob f

June 6th, 2018 at 9:37 AM ^

Could our userpics be "embiggened" back to the size they used to be?  It made it so much easier to skim through long threads and both be able to spot the comments I wanted to skip over and find the posters who usually make quality comments.

The new mini-avatars are nearly invisible on a phone.

LSAClassOf2000

June 7th, 2018 at 8:28 AM ^

NCAA Track Champion

Already covered in the thread that was - until now - right below it.

It is going to take some time to get used to the moderation "workflow" here. Deleting this was an interesting - but shorter - experience.

WirlingDirvish

June 8th, 2018 at 11:18 AM ^

Is there a place to report site bugs? I'm not going to create a new thread. Maybe make a temporary site bug sticky for the next month or so. If you are on the last page of comments and increase the comments/page all of the comments disappear and there isn't an option to change pages. I think if there are 75 comments and you are on page 2 (50 comments/page) and then increase the number of comments to 100/page you stay on "page 2". the problem is that there is only really 1 page, so the option to change pages disappears. This may only be a problem with between 51-100 comments.

Rick Sanchez

June 8th, 2018 at 1:32 PM ^

Can someone explain how the new site works/update the mgoboard faq?  The level of points you need to upvote/downvote seems to have changed and I have no idea how to access my profile.  Otherwise like the format of 3.0.

twotrueblue

June 9th, 2018 at 5:54 PM ^

Can anyone update us on when users with obviously more than 100 points are going to be freed from Bolivia? I'd like to be able to upvote/downvote again. Knowing that I could create a new thread would also be nice.

The Fox Says Hail

June 11th, 2018 at 3:09 PM ^

Why do I have 0 points? Ever since the new site launched my points went down to 0. Maybe I missed something? I didn't have very many points before (I'm not all that active in the comment section) so it's not all that important, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Seth

June 15th, 2018 at 9:45 AM ^

MGoBlog 3.0: Less Board Posts & Comments

I want to encourage everyone to share their feedback on the new site so I have tried to let every thread go that wants to talk about it. That means there are plenty of threads for criticism whether it's constructive or not. This one could have been a comment in any of them. There are still enough board threads that we don't need to clog up the works with another thread just to complain that there are not enough threads.

bronxblue

June 22nd, 2018 at 1:01 PM ^

Can we just crater Bluey for a bit?  It's one thing to be an asshole in the comments, but creating a commitment thread to shit on a guy is unnecessary.  This site inexplicably has given him/Maizen a long leash before, but he can't be worth the hassle.

Milk

July 2nd, 2018 at 4:23 PM ^

One month old account, half of his posts are telling somebody to fuck off.

Seth

July 5th, 2018 at 11:17 AM ^

Eddie McDoom to LT

What works as a comment in a thread doesn't work for a board post. OP is reset to 0 points--when he gets back to 555 again he'll probably know this.

LSAClassOf2000

July 10th, 2018 at 2:12 PM ^

Harbaugh drives Dodge Demon on Big House turf

This was covered yesterday, although these days, you can blink and a thread is gone from the first page of listings.

Mr Miggle

July 20th, 2018 at 7:35 AM ^

We have a poster who launched an unprovoked, (as far as I can tell), ad hominen attack on Wolverine Devotee. I understand his being a target for criticism at times, but this seemed to be way out of line.

I'm Batman

July 20th, 2018 at 1:03 AM ^

What can i say? After cleaning up the streets of Gotham, im searching high and low for something new to fight. Egotistical A-holes seemed a good target.

WD might be a good target as well. The guy thinks hes special because Dave Brandon wrote him an email, and it got mentioned online. Talk about a self important ass bag. His ego is so inflated, he needs 30+ handles to contain it. Dude you got talked down to by an even bigger ass bag. Get over yourself.

MichiganFan1984

July 23rd, 2018 at 12:33 PM ^

Mods....Can we please ban redgreen and docblueberg? The only time they comment is to troll and be rude to people. This place would be much more pleasant with them gone. Thank you.