Just watching this game, and noticing how little Jabrill is involved in it. He is lined up as a true free safety. The perfect position for him is at nickel corner or some sort of hybrid space player as he was used in college. That way he could be closer to the line of scrimmage and play the run more often. When he was at Michigan it felt like he was involved in almost every play. For Cleveland, he is just a bystander...
It's possible that Cleveland doesn't have the right personnel to compliment him so Williams has to use him in a way that doesn't take advantage of his skillset but still, to line him up as a free safety? It's a waste of his abilities.
How all former Michigan football players fared in NFL week one action:
• Richard Ash (Played at U-M from 2010-13), DT, Dallas Cowboys: Got cut by the Cowboys, but was signed to the team’s practice squad.
• Ben Braden (2013-16), OG, New York Jets: Made New York’s practice squad as an undrafted free agent.
• Tom Brady (1996-99), QB, New England Patriots: Completed just 16 of 36 passes for 267 yards with no touchdowns in a 42-27 loss to Kansas City.
• Alan Branch (2004-06), DT, New England Patriots: Recorded two solo tackles in the 42-27 home defeat at the hands of the Chiefs.
• Jake Butt (2013-16), TE, Denver Broncos: Still working his way back from the ACL injury suffered in the Orange Bowl … Started the season on the physically unable to perform list and will be out for at least the first six games.
• Taco Charlton (2013-16), DE, Dallas Cowboys: Played in a 19-3 win over the New York Giants, but did not register a tackle.
• Jehu Chesson (2013-16), WR, Kansas City Chiefs: The rookie played in the Chiefs’ 42-27 win at New England, but didn’t catch a pass.
• Frank Clark (2011-14), DE, Seattle Seahawks: Notched one tackle and a half sack in a 17-9 loss at Green Bay.
• Jeremy Clark (2013-16), S, New York Jets: The rookie did not play in the preseason, still rehabbing from his ACL injury suffered early last year … Was moved to the reserve/Non-Football Injury list Sept. 1.
• Blake Countess (2011-14), S, Los Angeles Rams: Registered three tackles (two solo) in a 46-9 win over Indianapolis.
• Amara Darboh (2013-16), WR, Seattle Seahawks: Played in the 17-9 loss at Green Bay, but didn’t catch a pass.
• Devin Funchess (2012-14), WR, Carolina Panthers: Caught two passes for 20 yards in a 23-3 win at San Francisco.
• Ben Gedeon (2014-16), LB, Minnesota Vikings: Started and notched two tackles in a 29-19 win over New Orleans on Monday night.
• Graham Glasgow (2012-15), OG, Detroit Lions: Started at guard in a 35-23 win over Arizona.
• Ryan Glasgow (2013-16), DT, Cincinnati Bengals: Notched one tackle in his NFL debut, a 20-0 loss to Baltimore.
• Brandon Graham (2006-09), DE, Philadelphia Eagles: Compiled two sacks and two tackles for loss among four total stops in a 30-17 win at Washington.
• David Harris (2003-06), LB, New England Patriots: Made one tackle in the 42-27 loss to Kansas City.
• Chad Henne (2004-07), QB, Jacksonville Jaguars: Served as the backup signal-caller for the Jaguars’ surprising 29-7 win at Houston.
• Willie Henry (2013-15), DT, Baltimore Ravens: Was inactive for a 20-0 victory over Cincinnati.
• Delano Hill (2013-16), S, Seattle Seahawks: Missed Seattle’s 17-9 loss at Green Bay due to a shoulder injury.
• Kyle Kalis (2013-16), OG, Washington Redskins: The undrafted free agent was signed to the Redskins’ practice squad after a solid camp.
• Taylor Lewan (2010-13), OT, Tennessee Titans: Started at tackle in a 26-16 loss to Oakland.
• Jourdan Lewis (2014-16), CB, Dallas Cowboys: Had been injured in camp with a hamstring, but still made the 53-man roster … Missed the Cowboys’ 19-3 win over the New York Giants. Expected to suit up this week.
• Erik Magnuson (2013-16), OL, San Francisco 49ers: Made the team as an undrafted rookie free agent, but was not active for the Niners’ 23-3 loss to Carolina.
• Patrick Omameh (2009-12), OG, Jacksonville Jaguars: Started in the Jaguars’ 29-7 win at Houston.
• Jabrill Peppers (2014-16), S, Cleveland Browns: Started at safety in a 21-18 loss to Pittsburgh, and notched four tackles and broke up a pass … Also returned three punts for 33 yards, including a 25-yarder, and one kick 14 yards.
• Thomas Rawls (20010-13), RB, Seattle Seahawks: Did not play in the 17-9 loss at Green Bay due to an ankle injury.
• Jake Rudock (2015), QB, Detroit Lions: Did not play in a 35-23 win over Arizona other than as a holder.
• Jake Ryan (2010-14), LB, Green Bay Packers: Started and notched two tackles (one solo) in the Packers’ 17-9 win over Seattle.
• Michael Schofield (2010-13), OT, Los Angeles Chargers: Signed with the Chargers after being waived by the Broncos … Did not appear in the 24-21 loss to the Broncos on Monday night.
• De’Veon Smith (2013-16), RB, Miami Dolphins: Made Miami’s practice squad as a rookie free agent.
• Channing Stribling (2013-16), CB, Cleveland Browns: Was unable to make the 53-man roster as an undrafted free agent, but was the last addition to the team’s practice squad.
• Dymonte Thomas (2013-16), S, Denver Broncos: Played well enough in the preseason to make the practice squad as an undrafted free agent.
• Fitz Toussaint (2010-13), RB, Pittsburgh Steelers: Was signed to the Steelers’ practice squad after being cut.
• Jarrod Wilson (2012-15), S, Jacksonville Jaguars: Played in the Jags’ 29-7 win at Houston, but did not record a tackle.
• Chris Wormley (2014-16), DT, Baltimore Ravens: Didn’t dress for the Ravens’ 20-0 win over Cincinnati.
Those who were waived following camp:
• Kenny Allen, P, Baltimore Ravens (2013-16): Punted well, but couldn’t make the team.
• Brennen Beyer (2011-14), DE, Baltimore Ravens: Released after two years with the team after signing an injury settlement with the team.
• Matt Godin (2013-16), DT, Houston Texans: Had been playing well with four tackles in two preseason games before tearing his ACL and getting waived … He’ll miss his rookie year.
• Joe Kerridge (2012-15), FB, Green Bay Packers: Reached an injury settlement with the team after injuring a calf before the final preseason game.
There was some talk that Chad Henne had won the open competition this offseason, and was going to be a Week 1 NFL starter.
The Jaguars have named Blake Bortles the starting quarterback. It's a surprising turnaround for a player whose... https://t.co/q3kVkbMXc7— Michael DiRocco (@ESPNdirocco) August 26, 2017
Would appreciate formatting help btw
|Chad Henne||JAX||Might end up starting for the Jags, due to Bortles being Bortles.|
|Jake Rudock||DET||8/13 84 yards in his last game. Solid backup for the lions|
|Frank Clark||SEA||Ifedi (0-1 KO loss to Clark) hashed it out, accepted apology, said he knows Frank, is a great dude, who lost his temper. Happens to all of us. We (who were not punched) should all be so forgiving. Or not.|
|Jake Ryan||GB||Last quoted praising their run defense, specifially…24 for 30 with 1 and 2 units on the field in the preseason. Pass defense was 31st last season. Defensively Capers is going to insert a safety who can hopefully be strong against the run, but not be the liability inthe pass game that a LB is. If only there was a player like that in the draft.|
|Kyle Kalis||WAS||Pushing for a backup guard spot, outplaying incumbent A. Kounandjio for 8th OL spot.|
|Ryan Glasgow||CIN||Vet B Thompson was waived last week, so expect Glasgow to fill his role. Last 6 seasons with the Bengals, Thompson had 79 tackles, 3 sacks 7 starts|
|Taco Charlton||DAL||Got into another scuffle with an OL. Jerry Jones was reportedly "smiling" Link to Taco in practice this week. https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/08/23/observations-star-de-taco-charlton-making-moves-vs-chaz-green-rookie-wr-makes-play-day|
|Willie Henry||BAL||on the 2nd line DL rotation…behind a very good 1st line.|
|Jourdan Lewis||DAL||Still limited with his hamstring, question mark vs Raiders. Has yet to play in the preseason. 2 other rookies, Awuzie and Switzer have all missed time. Much is being made about them missing opportunities. Not an unusal problem for rookies as they are not accostomed to an NFL training camp. Of note, Lewis was on the bench a the beginning of last year with a hamstring issue.|
|Jake Butt||DEN||Will start season on PUP, out for 6 weeks. At which point he will exact revenge on Heuerman for the haircut, by taking his job.|
|Jabrill Peppers||CLE||Player (Currie) listed ahead of him on the depth chart was just released.|
|Ben Gedeon||MIN||Vikings are excited about this rookie class. Again Gedeon will likely see starters snaps this season for the Vikings.|
|Dymonte Thomas||DEN||3 tackles, 1 FF, 1 FR vs GB. In 64 defensive snaps. No word yet on his likelihood of making the roster.|
|Fitzgerald Toussaint||PIT||Starting in place of Bell, who is holding out. Connor had a big game last week, still behind Fitz on the latest depth chart. It is a crowded backfield, Bell and Connor are considered locks to make the roster, the other 2 backs return kicks as well. Fitz has tenure and familiarity on his side. He did get an early yank after starting vs the Falcons...seen by some reporters as "saving him" for the regular season.|
|Brandon Graham||PHI||Questionable tonight vs Dolphins with tricep injury.|
|Tom Brady||NE||Greatest living American. Wife still hot.|
|Alan Branch||NE||17 pressures from 0 tech spot, led league last year (next player had 10) hope he can improve their pass rush this year|
|David Harris||NE||All 3 NE Wolverines may be on campus during/after the game vs the Lions.|
|Devin Funchess||CAR||Starter this season, having a rough preseason, losing faith of fans, maybe teammates(?) but not coaches(yet) Fumbled on his only catch last week. Former veteran teammate said of him "there's no dog in this guy" Not much of a surprise given his last year in AA, that most attributed to him checking out.|
|Amara Darboh||SEA||behind a few people on the depth chart, could rise if(when) injuries occur. Almost (possibly) concussed in lasyt preseason game|
|Matt Wile||ARI||In a fight for the punter job…had a nice squib last week. (ST news is not thrilling)|
|Delano Hill||SEA||Mentioned as a CB…I think this is a typo. He has the speed, not sure about the hips. Prodcutive in camp, will contribute this year.|
|Patrick Omameh||JAX||Likely starter, but poor preseason might see him on the bench.|
|Jarrod Wilson||JAX||6 tackles and 1 INT vs TB.|
|Jehu Chesson||KC||13 Offensive snaps, 5 ST snaps in preseason game 2|
I just stumbled upon an interesting tabulation of data available on 247Sports that lists the number of schollie offers by state. I decided to match this up with the breakdown of current NFL players by birthplace.
Here you go:
Note: Maryland is tied with Alabama for the 8th-most schollie offers from M, but has the 17th most NFL players.
PS - I wanted to drop this under the Recruiting Board, by my browser is not showing a "Save" buttton over there.
NFL ranked the top 100 players and here are the
number college teams with players among the top 100.
Alabama (5), Georgia (5), Oklahoma (4), Stanford (4), USC (4), Wisconsin (4), Michigan (3), Florida State (3), LSU (3), Ohio State (3), Pittsburgh (3), Texas A&M (3), Iowa (2), MSU (2), ND (2), Purdue (2), PSU (2)
I think this could change after this year.