Ira’s in for Sam today.
Football things discussed:
- Brian groans
- Every quarterback regressed this year. Unprecedented under Harbaugh, who’s had QB success since San Diego. Wasn’t just protection.
- Down three guys on an OL that wasn’t very good to begin with.
- No valid complaints about the defense, though some people manage to do so anyway. Microcosm of the season: constantly put behind the 8 ball and held the opponent to a beatable score.
- Mo Hurst was the best defensive lineman in Craig’s 3,000-year lifetime. Cam made Ira laugh.
- Would Roman come? Would we go to a pistol? Pistol gets you more of a downhill running game out of a read-option shotgun game, changes quarterback footwork.
- One of the problems with this offense is Harbaugh might have stepped back from running the offense.
- Go back to his third year of Stanford: things got better from there too.
- New coaches: likely to have five new guys if Drevno and Pep are gone too, plus there’s a tenth assistant.
Hoops things discussed
- Hoops! Ira’s not a fan of the gap: the space between the BTT and the tournament could lead to too much rust.
- Michigan’s the third-best team in a bad league, but it’s a four-bid league. The defense is ranking better than their offense on Ed’s numbers.
- Livers emerging is a big deal because Robinson should be out there with Teske to hide his perimeter defense, return him to his Microwave job.
- Z is never going to be Derrick Walton but he’s becoming an excellent version of himself now that he can shoot: never doubt Beilein’s ability to make anyone a 36% 3-point shooter.
- Donnal is at 6.3% DREB at Clemson, which means everyone on Michigan’s court is outperforming him. Wagner has improved after his draft grade circled that spot, and Teske is a major upgrade.
- Poole is the Quinn Hughes of the basketball team: once he settles down Michigan really has something
- When was the low point last year? Maverick Morgan or the Ohio State loss?
- Root for Texas, UCLA and LSU. Texas might be really good—Bamba getting better could make that a signature victory this year. Central Michigan could help too.
- Watch Oklahoma’s Trae Young: Ira says he’s Steph Curry II.
You can catch the entire episode on Michigan Insider's podcast stream on Audioboom.
THE USUAL LINKS
- Helpful iTunes subscribe link
- General podcast feed link
- Direct download link
- What's with the theme music?
It was bad year, and it’s manifesting itself on the radio.