To start: losing sucks. Period. This has been heart and gut wrenching start to my favorite time of year. But a question:
Is this start all that off from what was predicted?
Brian's offseason analysis:
- Improved Run Defense with a strong front 7 (check)
- Improved Secondary (TBD - Lewis has been a revelation, Countess has been eh. Peppers and Taylor have been rotating through injuries)
- Overall Defense: Good but not Awesome (check)
- An offensive identity (Check)
- Offensive line moving from awful to almost OK, despite losing two NFL tackles (check)
- Problems still caused by offensive linemen making mental errors (check)
- Gardner being superman under Nuss (Nope)
- Improvement from WR & RB (would be a check, but the WRs bit the big one yesterday)
-Overall Offense: Signs of moving in the right direction, but not enough to overcome youth and adapting/implementing to a new system (check)
Looking Game-by-Game, this has held up, with Gardner, and a bad day of WR drops, and Taylor's injury being the only major changes. This has led to games where the defense keeps us in, the offense moves the ball, but then the mistakes happen and the offense falls apart. The team is too young and the system too new to have the full bevy of plays in the playbook to effectively counter the defenses when the defenses sell out. The Good-But-Not-Awesome nature of the defense leads to the eventual scores, and game over.
This has led to a 2-2 start.
All of this follows what we knew would be the script but didn't want to believe. Actually, this script has been predicted for ~2.5 seasons. On the other hand, the same script also said that 2015 being a very positive year positive. The offense will continue to grow this season, correct the mental mistakes, build its identify/knowledge of zone/playbook, and start to capitalize on the opportunities it is creating... especially if Morris is given the reigns or Gardner gets the wake up call and overcomes his Football PTSD (or if Gardner book ends Funchess to create a deadly WR combo.... )
It is frustrating. I do not like it but there is little that can be done to rush/fix it.