"The University of Illinois is also in turmoil. The university sports an Interim Chancellor, an Interim Athletic Director, and an Interim Football Coach; the game will be played at Soldier Field, making this an Illini Interim Home Game."
Wolverine In Exile
- Member for
- 7 years 2 weeks
- View recent blog entries
|3 days 1 hour ago||So once again||
shitty goaltending and ineffective defensive clears blew a game we should've won. Huh, wonder where I heard that from?
In the happy news, the split with BU probably gives us enough OOC juice to get an at-large provided we win the B1G but don't win the tournament. The WCHA isn't going to have the large number of bubble teams like last year, so that should open up 1 or 2 at -large slots.
|5 days 21 hours ago||With the way the rest of ooc worked out up to this point||
A split with BU would be very nice, provided we can take care of Dartmouth next weekend. Who's in net tonight?
Edit- just looked, its Racine.
|1 week 4 days ago||There are two hopes for this team||
(1) The #1 line with Connor and Nieves turns into a Kevin Porter-2008 scoring juggernaut that can't be stopped and tires out the opposition's defense / backchecking
(2) The energy line with Morody turns into a Grind Line like forechecking terror
If both these happen, we'll win the B1G, perhaps easily. If not, it's struggle-humping defensive breakdowns wait-until-the-B1G-tourney-championship-game misery.
|1 week 4 days ago||Anecdotally, I'd say||
RB, DL & QB are most likely to go early. Those are the three positions that usually have multi-year starters by Jr year that are considered positions with shelf lives and are drafted highly by NFL teams traditionally to put more pressure on a player to come out early. The RB decrease the past 5-10 years or so in the NFL I still think is a blimp more than a new trend. .
|2 weeks 1 day ago||Fielding and Fritz||
Fielding's the big original one, and a coat of paint this offseason to add some helmet stripes to the little one can be Fritz.
|3 weeks 40 min ago||Serious response||
You have a couple options:
1) If you have, say 20 hours to kill, watch the movies in this order: IV, V, I (optional), II, III, VI. It has been called many things on Internet boards, but I like to call it "The Godfather" mash-up. You get all the back story in a context of emotional up and downs that preserves the twists and reveals of the stories.
2) If you prefer the visual methodolgy, but don't have 20 hours, find "Star Wars Droid Tales" on either the Disney XD app or some streaming service. 6 episodes, 30 min each. The last episode aired this week. It's basically Lego Movie-like animation of the entire Star Wars movie canon (including post-movie release material that is now considered canon like The Clone Wars & Star Wars Rebels) in 30 minute chunks that give you the recaps of the major plots of the movies and characters involved in humerous segments. Good if you're a parent who has to bring up to speed some youngsters on the entire Star Wars universe and don't have the aforementioned 20 hours + to spend in front of the TV, but want them ready to understand the new movie in front of you.
3) If you're a more reading type, and you're already familiar with the general Ep 1-6 movies, read the new books "Aftermath", "Lost Stars", the 4-issue comic book series "Star Wars Shattered Empire", and find a wookiepedia entry on "The Battle of Jakku". That will get you up to speed with who a lot of the new characters are and set the stage for The Force Awakens text crawl on Dec 18. Basically fills in the gap between post-Return of the Jedi and the new movie coming up. Ignore all the "Star Wars Expanded Universe" stuff written from the mid 90's up until now. That, for the most part, has been deemed as non-canon "Legends" material which the new movies will not be subject to. If you hear people complaining in the theater why there's no "Mara Jade" or "Thrawn" in the new movie, it's because those were popular characters from the Expanded Universe novels that Disney has decided to excise from the "New Canon" in order to make new movies and TV shows / books / comics under their purview fit together consistency wise. The people complaining likely spent hundreds of dollars and hours in previous years reading and following all the Expanded Universe storylines, only to have the House of Mouse tell them its means NOTHING. Kind of like Michigan fans who spent hundreds of hours learning intracacies of spread offense philosophies to then learn that Brady Hoke was hired.
Hope this helps. Can't wait for 18 Dec!
|4 weeks 2 days ago||CAVEAT||
I think Claeys is a real candidate for Minny as well. He's basically got a 5 game tryout. If Minny makes a bowl game, I think he gets the job. Minnesota's hoping they have a Pat Fitzgerald and not a Bobby Williams.
|4 weeks 2 days ago||PJ Fleck to Minnesota||
Illinois will inevitably screw up the hire, Minny will jump in, be a consistent 7-9 win team in the B1G West, and he'll eat that trophy scalpin' shit up full bore for Minnesota. The Gophers are probably the most EPL team out there in that they play for trophies more than division titles (The JUG, The PIG, The AXE)- they're basically Everton.
|4 weeks 2 days ago||Well.....||
Open now or with interim not expected to get final job: USC, USoCar, Illinois, Minnesota, Maryland, Miami FL, UCF
Expected to be open at end of year: Purdue, Rutgers, Houston (Tom Herman's going somewhere), K-State (credible rumblings the Old Wizard has decided this is his final year)
Still could be open and would change calculus entirely: Georgia, Auburn, Texas (although that seems to have been tamped down for now)
Other P5 jobs that could be open if flame outs occur / NFL jobs open: Boston College, Indiana, Penn St, Nebraska, UCLA (NFL move), Arkansas, NC State, Duke, Ga Tech
So even just that open now list has a lot of "quality" jobs that will cause other movement in lesser schools (see Toledo, Bowling Green, Temple, Western Michigan as lower tier schools likely to lose their coach to a higher position and cause shuffles). I'm not sure if this in unprecedented, but there's a lot of churn going to be happening.
|4 weeks 2 days ago||Narduzzi would be ideal||
Stays in B1G footprint, his style is conducive to Minnesota success, doesn't have to face Dantonio every year with long breaks in between, goes to weaker of B1G divisions in terms of blue blood programs to compete with. I agree that Claeys deserves the shot, but if Minny decides to go big name to try and build on what Kill established, Narduzzi would be it.
|4 weeks 2 days ago||Damn||
This sucks for Gophers-- Kill is a supremely competent coach and seemed to be exactly what the Gophers needed after The Tim Brewster Experience. Huge loss for Minny.
Obviously, Claeys will get the chance to prove himself for the head job, but would Minnesota be considered a better job than some of the others?
|4 weeks 2 days ago||Understood||
I was just trying to use some shorthand with points to describe potential results without havnig to go through all the possibilities.
|4 weeks 2 days ago||Agreed on non conf importance||
Michigan escaped with the barest "good" result out of this weekend with a tie and win. Same or better results this weekend, and I'd be happy with a split in Boston. The bigger games for me are Niagara and the series with Dartmouth. We need at least 5 points out of those three games. Anything better than a win and loss against Boston is going to be padding for the resume.
As for the B1G, smoldering ashes *is* probably a better description that tire fire, since a tire fire at least will explode. Only Michigan and Penn St seem to have legitimate D1 offenses, so its going to take defensive meltdowns of 2013-2014 proportions to really shit the bed once in the conference season. Unfortunately, I think that's still possible, especially with the uncertain goaltender situation.
|5 weeks 2 days ago||I wonder what will happen though||
when the major broadcasters stop showing the content that is driving the pirate sites. I'm pretty sure eusportz4free.adhit.eu doesn't have production crews.
|5 weeks 2 days ago||Also||
read the Vanity Fair piece this week on the death of Grantland. That was already a money loser, and so is 538, and The Undefeated is an unmitigated disaster. The biggest click baits on their website are fantasy sports articles. I'd imagine we're probably going to see less studio shows with high priced "commentators" and more aggregated fantasy sports coverage, live sports that don't have outrageous rights fees, and the like.
|5 weeks 3 days ago||DPS EM is in charge||
of everything to do with the school district. King parents organized a protest at the DPS offices. DPS had rented Ford Field for the championship game, so there likely would be a DPS financial hit (not sure how real and if the Lions would refund it anyway) if the game was not played. This is well within his scope.
|5 weeks 3 days ago||I saw||
Minnesota had 5 freshman skaters and only 4 seniors on the roster, so when you include they have to replace Wilcox in net, yeah, it's going to be a rebuilding year. But they're going to be a candidate for one of those teams to improve by the end of the year. Michigan has to bury them in early season matchups.
|5 weeks 3 days ago||Unfortunately||
with the way the PWR work, no it's not too early. These early season games where most of your OOC record comes from weigh disproportionately heavily into the PWR process.
|5 weeks 3 days ago||Goaltending||
Taking this weekend with the Toronto game, I'm not confident about Racine. His positioning looks off and he doesn't look like he knows what he needs to do in terms of holding versus playing a puck. Naglevoort didn't look like Patrick Roy, but he at least was smarter about playing vs holding the puck, and seemed to hold his ground on the odd man rushes better.
Also, not shown in your recaps since you only cover goals, but I thought our D / point men on the PP were atrocious. They kept passing up wrist shot lanes when skating across the zone, and almost to a man all took bad slap shots that were deflected.
I have great hope for Connor and Nieves. And as I said in my diary, the B1G may be so bad this year, we may be able to outscore our opponents into a conference title.
|5 weeks 4 days ago||Jamie isn't on DFN||
probably should've inserted a comma or something.
"WDFN, and 97.1 now,.."
|5 weeks 4 days ago||Well||
I guess we'll be doing "speed trick-or-treating" as a family this year....
|5 weeks 4 days ago||No way is Kill on hot seat||
the Tim Brewster Experience is still too fresh in Minnesota fans minds. Kill has them at respectability and if they get a couple breaks, they'll be a yearly contender for the West division. Multiple Gopher fans I know are remorseful for the way Glenn Mason was booted out, and are more than willing to give Kill a chance so long as the program is clean, and there's annual bowl trips coming.
|5 weeks 4 days ago||The old Stoney & Wojo||
is still the gold standard for Detroit sports talk radio. Jamie's shows on WDFN and 97.1 now are probably the best thing going today for wide ranging topics.
|5 weeks 4 days ago||Drew's show||
was a weird hybrid of trying to recreate Drew & Mike but with more sports. Ended up being Drew's ramblings about baseball or uninformed HOT TAKES most of the time, interspersed with Drew doing his good funny interview segments or tired BOOBZ prank calls. There were times I'd be entertained, and other times I'd just switch the channel immediately. The last couple months, it was more of the latter, increasingly so.
I miss the good ol' days of WDFN. Jamie Sammuelsson in the mornings with Henson were a good pair, Stoney & Wojo were entertaining on the drive home, Dery was kept behind an update desk, and Caputo was exiled to Saturday afternoon slots. I even liked Baligean occasionally. Sad to say that worst parts of Old WDFN are the only thing left, and 97.1 will be the leftover. Thank goodness I live in an area with good 1050 AM reception so I can hear Sam & Ira in the am at least.
|5 weeks 4 days ago||Agreed||
I have no idea what this is trying to say. Are we comparing the benefits of going to college versus celebrities that don't? Are we comparing Kobe Bryant to Grant Hill? are we comparing James Earl Jones to Paul Newman? What is the point?
|5 weeks 4 days ago||Point of fact||
Dantonio did have a national interview today, on the "Tiki & Tierney Show" on Fox Sports radio. He got salty with the interviewer (Brandon Tierney, frmly of WDFN Detroit) when asked if he prefers the rivalry when Michigan is an elite program again. Dantonio responded with 'Is that a serious question?'; the host repeated it and then asked if there was a point where Dantonio thought he resigned himself to the loss. Mork clammed up and went into coach speak mode. the interview did not last much longer.
|5 weeks 5 days ago||I retract my previous||
Comment about us getting g horse fucked by the refs.
We are getting *royally* horse fucked.
|5 weeks 5 days ago||I believe the french term for the officiating||
Is "horse fucking"
|5 weeks 6 days ago||Was there||
* freshman scoring looms lethal. We are not going to be short of goals or shots
* racine did not look good to me tonight. Poor angles, not covering up contested shots after a long shift. Nagelvoort looked so much better to me against Toronto- anybody know if he was hurt? If not guessing we see him on Sunday.
* all d besides werenski looked slow, I won't go to lazy.... Yet. Poor clears and not winning battles / races to corners. I doubt mercyhurst has nhl level power forwards on their roster.
* boo Nieves may finally be getting it. He looked in control and wasn't afraid to take rushes across the line and at the goaltender.
* crowd was sparse at start but by 5 minutes in, was filled in pretty good except for corner section at southwest. Good atmosphere for real home opener. Goals by mercyhurst took some jump out of crowd.
|6 weeks 46 min ago||Already some shakeout occurring||
* If Utah & Stanford continue, the Pac-12 CG will be a playoff play-in game
* As long as MSU/OSU/Michigan don't shit the bed, a 0 or 1 loss B1G champ is in the playoff
* Baylor / TCU will probably be a play-in game as long as the winner doesn't gack a game like last year
* This means that we are left with a real probability that with Operation: SECCHAOS in full effect, a 2-loss (or even 1-loss???) SEC champion is well within possibility and will not get in the playoff if the ACC produces an undefeated champ in Florida St or Clemson.
Please dear God be true.