- Member for
- 5 years 17 weeks
- View recent blog entries
|4 weeks 4 days ago||I agree||
If you don't have a compelling interest in business for its own sake (as opposed to for the sake of the salary you hope to get), I'm good with taking any other hard-core major, going out into the world of work, coming back later to get an MBA should you feel the need.
|4 weeks 4 days ago||Ok I dont think you passed the stats class||
It is not easier to break a curve in a smaller class, it's harder. Just now I'm getting ready to grade a class with only 20 students in it, which means I only have five students who will get a full "excellent"/A.
|4 weeks 4 days ago||Ross prereqs||
Hi there and welcome
|9 weeks 1 day ago||Desirable ....not!||
Oh for heaven's sake, if "total applications" is the right indicator of "desirability" than McDonald's is the best restaurant in the universe.
A better measure would be acceptance rate (i.e. Stanford's is about 5.6 ot 5.7 and Harvard's is about 5.9).
|12 weeks 2 days ago||Read the Gilovich article||
Before you say that
|12 weeks 2 days ago||So is the hot hand a defensive phenomenon||
I mean is it driven entirely by defense? Is it possible that defensive reaction is driven by an (incorrect) belief in the hot hand? Could the hot hand in other words both be true (as a defensively driven empirically phenomenon) and not true (as a purely offensive matter)? So all the researchers are right?
|12 weeks 2 days ago||Please describe said flaws||
I'm not being sarcastic. I am very familiar with the initial article and find the endogenous argument compelling. I am not certain that "sabermetricians" typically use models that account for endogeneity, and am happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
|13 weeks 2 days ago||Donors yesterday||
There was a pre-pre-sale yesterday for athletic donors. By 9:30am the lower seats in the corner (at $90) were already back to the 45th row.
|15 weeks 1 day ago||Is it genuine?||
Well it would be nice but how do we know it is not a deliberate pseudonym?
|15 weeks 6 days ago||Cool; and a follow-up question||
Given that one-seeds often enough play other one-seeds in the final, is perhaps the likeilihood of of a one-seed winning understated? If East 1-seed plays West 1-seed, the winning percentage for a given one-seed team is 50%, although there is a 100% chance of one-seed winning the game.
|16 weeks 21 hours ago||Breathe deeply||
7 upsets in 23 years = 7/(23*4) = 7.6% chance.
92.4% chance we win, 7.6% chance THEY win which is a little better than 12 to 1 odds. Those are pretty good odds!
|16 weeks 1 day ago||How do you know they are better||
Before the tournament?
|16 weeks 5 days ago||NotYourMom and son||
Whose mom I actually am.
|17 weeks 2 days ago||Well since you have requested it.||
That would help us tease apart whether this is really about demographics or really about some states being basketball state
So my difficulty is the implication that some states do well because of "demographics" (.e.g race) and others because they are "basketball states."
That is, "controlling for" the presence of black players in order to determine the remaining effect (that is, removing the effects of demographics from the rest of the analysis).
Also I think perhaps you have the numerator and denominator mixed up.
You are proposing:
# of players regardless of race
"Total Black population"
Could that really be what you meant?
|17 weeks 2 days ago||Really? Really?||
Did not one but two posters just suggest that the figures are distorted by the presence of actual black players who should be removed so we could calculate whether a state is a "real" basketball state?
Words escape me.
|17 weeks 2 days ago||Congrats!||
Bring her to the games in a Bjorn, she will learn to sleep through anything.
|17 weeks 3 days ago||My cat||
Is round and fierce and delivers a mean inspirational speech.
|17 weeks 3 days ago||At some point will MGoBlue offer?||
At some point will mgoblue.com offer tickets, if only to season subscribers? That seems to have happened in the past. I had sortof expected it to be announced today with a sale tomorrow, for example.
I notice that stubhub has no seats available for lower section 1 or 201, so I figured those are reserved for teams to distribute, but I don't know how.
I also notice that the number of tickets available for Saturday (I cant get down there Friday) has been increasing over the past 24 hours, which I assumes also means the prices will have to soften a little.
Anyone with prior experience know if it is risky to wait until Friday's result to buy tickets for Saturday's game?
|17 weeks 6 days ago||Wow thanks||
I did not know it would be televised
|17 weeks 6 days ago||And you're also wrong about||
Scholarships having "previously" been need based.
|17 weeks 6 days ago||Not true||
I know that some candidates Amaker wanted to recruit were given an academic thumbs down. He doesn't get a bigger pass than other coaches
|18 weeks 4 days ago||As much as I'm with you on Crean||
I can and must diagree with beat Crean > beat everyone
If we beat everyone it's because we beat Indiana PLUS we beat everyone else
So it's mathematically and logically impossible for beating Crean to be better than beating Crean PLUS everybody else. Google "conjunctive fallacy"
Leave the fallacies for RCMB and the like
|18 weeks 5 days ago||How about adding Kermit singing....||
"It's Not That East Being Green"?
|18 weeks 6 days ago||No you don't||
You are hoping for them to beat State
|19 weeks 4 days ago||Don't worry hon||
Nik is on FIYA on every plane in the universe.
|19 weeks 4 days ago||I was sporting a "Win the Game" T lol||
Which apparently Mitch replicated at one of the last TOs (did anyone snap a photo of it, he didn't point it in the direction of Section 114?)
|19 weeks 4 days ago||Muppets in Space||
Muppets should be emblazoned across the sky. They should rename some constellations "Temptation" and "Hawaiian War Chant".
|20 weeks 2 days ago||Waitiminute||
For eons the Hoosiers won 90% of their home games there. What's the evidence that it is substandard in some way. I've been going since 1981 and for intensity it is hard to beat
|20 weeks 2 days ago||Japanese Tea Garden||
While you're in SF, this is a fun place for the kids to climb around in golden gate park. There is a small entrance fee but it's not bad and there is a nice tea pavilion with kid snacks in the middle
|20 weeks 2 days ago||Yeah Calistoga||
A bit more walkable which is good for parents who would like a glass of wine with dinner