things go poorly
- Member for
- 5 years 27 weeks
- View recent blog entries
|10 hours 41 min ago||Niceness.||
It's Utah's secret weapon. Welcome and thanks for the nice words.
|3 days 2 hours ago||You're on!||
Good causes all
|3 days 8 hours ago||$30 sez Gardner throws no interceptions this weekend||
If I lose I'll give 30 to Keeping Growing Detroit, which provides urban gardening services in the city (and employs at least one huge Wolverines fan).
|1 week 10 hours ago||Unless he plays football for Michigan||
He is too OT for an in-season thread.
|1 week 10 hours ago||Hey get your Groupons here for Saturday's game||
No kidding I got an "Amazon Local" offer this morning (think Groupon with an Amazon logo slapped on it) for a "special package" for the Miami game
$65 includes ticket hot dog beverage t-shirt and program
which, as we all know, is WAY LESS THAN LOYAL SEASON TICKET HOLDERS PAY.
So, yes, we are at Desperation Defcon 6 or something.
Really, Dave? YOU ARE COUPONING OUR FOOTBALL GAME?
|1 week 5 days ago||Maybe we give extra points||
For being a good guy,
|4 weeks 5 days ago||Yay got mine||
Bulk mail, no signature though
|5 weeks 5 days ago||5) bring an aunts||
So you don't have to take her to the men's room.
|5 weeks 5 days ago||That's what we thought last year||
When we took Sloane to Akron and made her stay and stay and stay.
|5 weeks 6 days ago||No||
Closed. And Ann Arbor Saline too.
|5 weeks 6 days ago||Low expectations = more fun||
The following are my observations based on taking my grandniece, the awesome Sloane, to game starting at about age 3.
|7 weeks 1 day ago||Geez I thought you said Joe Biden||
I would really like to see Joe BIden split playing time with Desmond Morgan.
|7 weeks 1 day ago||Oh hon||
What was on your plate was way more important. Y'all are the best sports writers out there and we will wait as long as it takes.
|9 weeks 2 days ago||What a fine way to honor your dad||
I am very sorry for your loss and send my best to your family esp your mom.
|14 weeks 3 days ago||I agree||
If you don't have a compelling interest in business for its own sake (as opposed to for the sake of the salary you hope to get), I'm good with taking any other hard-core major, going out into the world of work, coming back later to get an MBA should you feel the need.
|14 weeks 3 days ago||Ok I dont think you passed the stats class||
It is not easier to break a curve in a smaller class, it's harder. Just now I'm getting ready to grade a class with only 20 students in it, which means I only have five students who will get a full "excellent"/A.
|14 weeks 3 days ago||Ross prereqs||
Hi there and welcome
|19 weeks 1 day ago||Desirable ....not!||
Oh for heaven's sake, if "total applications" is the right indicator of "desirability" than McDonald's is the best restaurant in the universe.
A better measure would be acceptance rate (i.e. Stanford's is about 5.6 ot 5.7 and Harvard's is about 5.9).
|22 weeks 2 days ago||Read the Gilovich article||
Before you say that
|22 weeks 2 days ago||So is the hot hand a defensive phenomenon||
I mean is it driven entirely by defense? Is it possible that defensive reaction is driven by an (incorrect) belief in the hot hand? Could the hot hand in other words both be true (as a defensively driven empirically phenomenon) and not true (as a purely offensive matter)? So all the researchers are right?
|22 weeks 2 days ago||Please describe said flaws||
I'm not being sarcastic. I am very familiar with the initial article and find the endogenous argument compelling. I am not certain that "sabermetricians" typically use models that account for endogeneity, and am happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
|23 weeks 2 days ago||Donors yesterday||
There was a pre-pre-sale yesterday for athletic donors. By 9:30am the lower seats in the corner (at $90) were already back to the 45th row.
|25 weeks 22 hours ago||Is it genuine?||
Well it would be nice but how do we know it is not a deliberate pseudonym?
|25 weeks 6 days ago||Cool; and a follow-up question||
Given that one-seeds often enough play other one-seeds in the final, is perhaps the likeilihood of of a one-seed winning understated? If East 1-seed plays West 1-seed, the winning percentage for a given one-seed team is 50%, although there is a 100% chance of one-seed winning the game.
|26 weeks 9 hours ago||Breathe deeply||
7 upsets in 23 years = 7/(23*4) = 7.6% chance.
92.4% chance we win, 7.6% chance THEY win which is a little better than 12 to 1 odds. Those are pretty good odds!
|26 weeks 22 hours ago||How do you know they are better||
Before the tournament?
|26 weeks 4 days ago||NotYourMom and son||
Whose mom I actually am.
|27 weeks 2 days ago||Well since you have requested it.||
That would help us tease apart whether this is really about demographics or really about some states being basketball state
So my difficulty is the implication that some states do well because of "demographics" (.e.g race) and others because they are "basketball states."
That is, "controlling for" the presence of black players in order to determine the remaining effect (that is, removing the effects of demographics from the rest of the analysis).
Also I think perhaps you have the numerator and denominator mixed up.
You are proposing:
# of players regardless of race
"Total Black population"
Could that really be what you meant?
|27 weeks 2 days ago||Really? Really?||
Did not one but two posters just suggest that the figures are distorted by the presence of actual black players who should be removed so we could calculate whether a state is a "real" basketball state?
Words escape me.
|27 weeks 2 days ago||Congrats!||
Bring her to the games in a Bjorn, she will learn to sleep through anything.