- Member for
- 3 years 40 weeks
- View recent blog entries
- Crazy seller's market in many areas right now. We pay 2k for a 1200 sqft nice apartment on the edge of a desirable area. We're looking for a house, and houses go above asking within a day or two of the first showings.
- There are some cool neighborhoods (downtown, Wash Park, Platt Park are my favorites so far, surely there are more). There is also appaling suburban sprawl in every direction if that's your bag.
- Others have mentioned the DTC - I work there. The train is great if you leave nearish and your office is nearish. Otherwise it's 30+ minutes for 10-12 miles for me (straight down 70 from south of down town). The area around the DTC is sprawl.
- It's dry as fuck here. It's practically a desert. Bring your humidifiers. Other than that, the weather is great. Majority sunny and warm but with a little weather for variety (I didn't like California's numbingly constant weather).
- The airport is far away, 40+ minute drive from downtown area. They're building a train from downtown - ETA 2016.
- Flights are often delayed due to changing weather, and there is often turbulence on the way in/out. Some heavy travel since moving here actually got me over my fear of turbulence real quick.
- It can feel like you're living in an REI catalog.
- You can drive to skiing... don't misconstrue that as living in a ski town.
- The other commenters are right: leaving early means on the road before 6 am - traffic will already be heavy but moving. PJ's comment about leaving at 7 doesn't match my experience at all - the roads have been slammed well before then. I'm also leaving from the downtown area (Wash Park).
- It'll take 2 hours. That's 4 hours in the car for there and back... if you can stay the night and ski twice in a row to cut off a few trips, do it.
|1 week 6 days ago||He wasn't decapitated. He||
He wasn't decapitated. He rolled down a hill and bonked his (helmeted!) head.
|2 weeks 5 days ago||Care to share some authentic||
Care to share some authentic mexican suggestions? I'm dying for some good tacos and mole.
|2 weeks 5 days ago||Quick hits from someone who||
Quick hits from someone who just moved to Denver 6 months ago (my trajectory was Ann Arbor -> Atlanta -> Denver). This is mostly cold water since everyone loves Denver so damn much. I actually do too, but you won't have trouble finding positive information on Denver so:
|4 weeks 1 day ago||What kind of maniac would||
What kind of maniac would complain about running Lynch there? It wasn't 4th down. There were ~30 seconds left. They had time outs.
|4 weeks 1 day ago||QB likely has the toughest||
QB likely has the toughest path to playing time of any position. You almost never see more than 1 QB on the field at once, even on trick plays. QBs almost never rotate. Continuity is prized as the QB is pumped up as the leader of the entire team. I'd imagine many backup QB's feel like they never really get their shot, and I'd bet this isn't something unique to the psyche of Texans.
It would be interesting to see nation-wide charts for many positions. Dollars to donuts QB is far and away the 'worst'.
|19 weeks 3 days ago||No, clearly he should be||
No, clearly he should be given a permanent brand on his forehead and forced to sit on the Diag with a sign reading "I Did Not Support the Troops"
|20 weeks 3 days ago||If nothing else RR's teams||
If nothing else RR's teams were fun to watch. More and more often watching Hoke's Michigan is like taking a really difficult shit. You struggle through, wash your hands and are relieved when it's over.
|21 weeks 20 hours ago||I like Nik but you think he's||
I like Nik but you think he's gonna find 8 more points in 6 minutes or so? Or are you expecting them to run him for 38+ a game?
|21 weeks 2 days ago||No||
Not even a blip. Slight satisfaction/relief if anything, since it makes Hoke and Brandon's departures more likely. Apparently the players feel the same way, given Funchess' comments.
|24 weeks 3 days ago||They're not even trying any more||
Just slap a picture of darth vader on it and call it a day!
|26 weeks 5 days ago||There's a thread like this||
There's a thread like this every season.
You're kidding yourself if you think this will be fun for you or the infant (or you have a very unique definition of fun).
|27 weeks 15 hours ago||So if a 'body-bag' actually||
So if a 'body-bag' actually beats UM, they should never be rescheduled? Doesn't that look like cowardice?
|28 weeks 5 days ago||I wonder if they're vestigial||
I wonder if they're vestigial or actually contribute something. Does he have a particularly strong grip? I'm expecting Adam to get on this at the pressers ASAP.
|29 weeks 1 day ago||Genius ScanTurns your phone||
Turns your phone into a scanner. Can 'enhance' shots to B&W only to make them more legible.
|29 weeks 4 days ago||This will end well||
This will end well
|29 weeks 6 days ago||My god, Irvin's waist is at||
My god, Irvin's waist is at the rim! And he's 9 feet tall!
|30 weeks 3 days ago||mmm, oblong paninis...||
mmm, oblong paninis...
|32 weeks 4 days ago||air war||
Ukrainian fighter and cargo planes have been shot down in recent days. I haven't seen any mention of how big the cargo plane was or how high they were flying when hit.
edit - another link from BBC in case the WSJ paywalls you (it let me in from google, but not from mgoblog..)
|33 weeks 4 days ago||"Caris LeVert Article"||
"Caris LeVert Article"
|33 weeks 6 days ago||Embed||
Mitch, we hardly knew ye.
|35 weeks 4 days ago||Turner Field (where the||
Turner Field (where the Braves play) is even newer. That didn't stop them from trying to hold taxpayers hostage for a new park, and then moving to Marietta (suburb). I bet they wish they'd started a year earlier - the Falcons beat them to it.
If you're suprised to see pro sports teams wasting public funding on unneccessary new arenas, you haven't been paying attention.
|35 weeks 6 days ago||Yes please. Smith could be a||
Yes please. Smith could be a good piece of the right team, but I don't see the Pistons fitting that mold any time soon.
|37 weeks 6 hours ago||"Subpar Defense". Probably to||
"Subpar Defense". Probably to negative-recruit a big man. No one wants to get posterized because their teammate was slacking on D.
|38 weeks 5 days ago||I always thought 'wings'||
I always thought 'wings' referred to the entire yellow portion of the helmet.
|38 weeks 6 days ago||The Noel/Davis gifs of them||
The Noel/Davis gifs of them surrounded by 5'3 clones are great.
|41 weeks 3 days ago||Did Rick Grimes title this post?||
|45 weeks 17 hours ago||Like the other commenters||
Like the other commenters here, all I have is my own memory of 'Lewan has gotten a number of personals', or articles mentioning a single foul in a random game.
It would be interesting to see the actual count - it would be cool to see comprehensive NCAA penalty stats for their own sake, too.
|45 weeks 18 hours ago||The helmet twist is pretty||
The helmet twist is pretty egregious. People were ready to crucify Gholston when he did that to His Holiness Denard, and rightfully so.
I've been trying and failing to find a count of unsportsmanlikes called on Lewan. He was no stranger to the personal foul.
Hoke here suggesting the leadership last year was suspect, specfically saying this year they aren't just going to 'annoint certain players'. That's not Lewan-specific, but he'd be in the group.
He's facing assault charges (LINK).
He was accused of intimidating Gibbons' alleged rape victim.
The immediate reaction to most of these has been to defend our guy against perceived witch hunts. "The damn buckeye was smirking when he talked to the cops! That Watchdog guy is insane, he's got a grudge!"
|45 weeks 19 hours ago||Wasn't Incognito on the||
Wasn't Incognito on the Dolphin's 'Leadership Council' or whatever? (edit: yes, LINK)
Being in a position of authority/recognized by peers obviously isn't all you need to know about someone's character. Actions speak louder than words, and we've seen plenty from Lewan.
|46 weeks 16 hours ago||The guy WON the game.||
The guy WON the game.
edit: beaten to the punch