someone let radioactive Stephen A Smith into the state again
- Member for
- 3 years 39 weeks
- View recent blog entries
- Anything to do with Michigan athletics, the University of Michigan itself or anything of note in Ann Arbor. The womens rowing team is not off topic. Academic or housing or admissions news is not off topic. Blimpy Burger news is not off topic. Recruiting falls under this headline as well.
- Anything about a Michigan alum in regional/national news or any news about a former athlete. Every time a thread title starts with "OT: Denard..." a puppy's heart breaks. True story.
- Any topic about a Big Ten member. If OSU gets baseball uniformz or Northwestern announces a new undergrad major, it's on topic.
- Anything relating to a future opponent. NTM football is on topic. Alabama softball is on topic. BC hockey is on topic. If they're on a Michigan schedule and there's something you think the board would like to read, post it, it's not off topic.
- Stories from around college sports. If Florida is starting a fourth string LB at QB or some Pac 12 RB goes off for 350yds, just post it, people around here care.
- Significant professional/international sporting events can get open threads. Sunday open threads for NFL are just fine, World Series, Red Wings/Pistons games or a big national game in any of the leagues. Bias is towards state of Michigan teams in deciding what to leave up but general interest factors in as well (i.e. a Red Wings open thread will be presumed to be more interesting to the board than a Stars open thread without a compelling story line).
- Major news in pro/international sports. Big trades or roster changes, significant milestones, injuries, stuff like that. Not boilerplate training camp/press conference type news.
- If it's not mentioned here, it's probably off topic. Dogs anal glands are off topic.
- Questions or thoughts on the site/board. Ideas for a new regular article or questions about what's good for posting as a diary are meta.
- Going personal on an athlete. "Devin made a terrible throw, he had Darboh wide open and completely blew it": fine. "Devin looks like a bitch out there": the board is better off without you.
- Politics and religion. Don't tell the board what you think about Obama's foreign policy or your opinion on the validity of Christianity or Judaism or Islam or Buddhism or whatever other religion.
|1 day 4 hours ago||+1 Truth.||
|1 day 6 hours ago||I think one of the "hooks" at the time...||
was O'Brien v. O'Leary. Other than that, I think everyone was confused other than Notre Dame and Navy did it.
|1 day 12 hours ago||Probably missed some stuff...||
or was unclear or whatever; if you have a question just ask it, it's really not a big deal.
Also, self TL;DR. Sorry. Didn't start that way originally.
|1 day 12 hours ago||Assume it'll come up somewhere along the line.||
THINGS THAT ARE NOT OFF TOPIC:
THINGS THAT FELL UNDER GREY AREA IN THE ORIGINAL FAQ THAT SHOULD JUST GET POSTED WITHOUT AN OT TAG IN 2014:
THINGS THAT ARE OFF TOPIC AND WILL BE TAKEN DOWN:
THINGS THAT ARE META:
THINGS THAT GET PEOPLE BANNED:
|2 days 5 hours ago||Sorry.||
No problems on laptop (Windows/Chrome), seeing it as a link on my phone (Android/Chrome).
|2 days 9 hours ago||Where were you, if you don't mind me asking.||
One side of my family has some ties to the Howe's as well, helping found one of the rinks in St Clair Shores with Gordie and playing on various teams with both Mark and Marty.
|2 days 10 hours ago||Ha.||
The only interesting answer I have there is that I have a Gordie Howe signed NHL rulebook. Apparently the only one in existance circa 1996, but I can't think of many fans who would take a rulebook to be signed by Gordie Howe of all people.
You're up, quiverfull, what's your favorite weight gaining meal?
|2 days 11 hours ago||Embed|
|2 days 13 hours ago||Don't you say a word against Dogsquat Rye Ale, sir!||
You'll rue this day!
|2 days 13 hours ago||No.||
He's said he'll come back if reinstated but won't make a new account.
I can do it to a point, but there are people way better at it than I ever will be. OMG Shirtless comes to mind.
|2 days 15 hours ago||Might be more helpful for the guys who didn't.||
Not saying he shouldn't be having his priorities straight now, but if Cardale Jones is out of football and without a degree at 22 this would be much more useful to him down the line than a Zoltan Mesko type who, at eighteen, did indeed come to play school.
|2 days 16 hours ago||This is not OT.||
For so many reasons.
|2 days 17 hours ago||MGoProfiles...||
Six Zero is wicked busy but felt comfortable giving M-Wolverine "license" to use his name and format and that got some new ones done last year. If someone with the right kind of posting history wants to volunteer to get involved we could always ask Six Zero what he thinks of the idea.
The only issue I see, again having helped getting these done before, is that the only one that feels right for this point in the calendar is Adam Schnepp and even that would probably need to be ready to post by Saturday; that's a pretty tall order.
|2 days 17 hours ago||Just to add...||
Yeah, a Friday night open thread will work fine. Other than predictions there's also always a game on somewhere, same goes with MACtion earlier in the week.
The past three seasons it's gone no-OT after Saturday, to give a full game week before the first kickoff. Unless one of the other mods has an objection it'll be midnight on 8/24 like LSA said.
|3 days 7 hours ago||Braxton Miller cleanup.||
Braxton Miller cleanup.
|3 days 8 hours ago||I hope this announcement||
I hope this announcement lines up timewise with York finding a new home. Seeing the video it's pretty obvious he needed to be dismissed but completely throwing him out of the program before he could take some steps to get things together would have been a pretty cold move, IMO.
|5 days 4 hours ago||Is going for a cheap one||
Is going for a cheap one liner really the only option towards a guy who really adds value to the community in general? I get it, I really do, but it seems like the post above this one is the right way to go about replying.
100% just my personal opinion as a guy who really likes spending time around here.
|5 days 5 hours ago||Close call.||
We all agreed to make a concerted effort to leave up threads on this topic (see this, this and this, only including the latter two for ease of viewing). I saw that some of the stuff that derailed the Michael Sam threads got deleted, that'll be the new normal going forward on [athlete/coach/university person] comes out topics instead of aiming to be all inclusive.
|5 days 5 hours ago||RELAX||
Dusting off our snowflake policy for the first time this season.
PSA for the board: We're going no-OT at the end of the upcoming week. Your dual takeaway from this should be to post OT while you've got 'em, and threads might start being held to a bit of a higher standard so as to keep on topic content on the board.
|5 days 10 hours ago||Points Santa came early.||
You and MGoBlog HD should both be able to post topics/vote now.
|6 days 4 hours ago||Commodore 64's...||
really making a comeback in relevance!
|1 week 10 hours ago||Lots of awesome stuff here:||
No dogs anal glands though...yet.
|1 week 10 hours ago||And then there's the dichotomy of best reply/worst thread.|
|1 week 11 hours ago||You probably thought this Iowa head coach was alive.||
Nope. Chuck Testa.
Bonus: ship from anywhere.
|1 week 13 hours ago||Agreed.||
Glad to see the thread civil, and I can definitely think of at least "1" reason that's the case. Much, much better than the Michael Sam threads.
|1 week 2 days ago||Enter the blockquote commands in plain text editor.||
Also if anyone needs a refresher on basics check out the Pretty Posts Sticky.
|1 week 3 days ago||Don't forget intergenerational music wars.||
|1 week 3 days ago||Think of it the other way around.||
NTM isn't a conference team but they're on topic because they're on the schedule.
Any school in the Big Ten is always on topic.
|1 week 3 days ago||The only things that should really have OT tags...||
are pro sports and the completely random stuff like Jeff Bridges for Senate petitions. PSU is in the Big Ten which makes anything about Penn State on topic, and even if they weren't you're right that being a future opponent makes them on topic.
|1 week 3 days ago||+1 for understanding OT protocol.||
Hope he's going to be okay though.