From Portage Northern.
- Member for
- 6 years 3 weeks
- View recent blog entries
- Hand was planning on majoring in engineering until he visited Michigan, whereupon he told Rivals radio that he'd "recently decided" he wanted to do sports management instead.
- He hasn't talked to the Alabama guy in that field yet—he talked to an engineering professor—but has called Professor Needs A Raise at Michigan "amazing" and oh yeah "amazing."
- Alabama fans don't think Alabama actually offers undergrad sports management. Also their engineering school is not amazing.
|1 hour 15 min ago||Too bad there's no automatic relationship between photos||
and performance on the field.
|1 hour 21 min ago||We better have something to carol about around Christmas||
or it will be hard times for Michigan football.
|1 hour 27 min ago||Picture on the left:||
genetics + pizza, pop, potato chips, and ice cream.
|1 hour 32 min ago||If he's not going to sign with Michigan||
I'd rather see him in a USC uniform than one of our conference rivals.
|1 hour 56 min ago||who go out of their way to neg any soccer related threads||
It's the internet equivalent of egging a house, keying a car, or soaping windows. It's petty, gutless, and juvenile, but that's how those with middle-school levels of maturity roll.
|2 hours 2 min ago||What in the Dickens are you talking about?||
I had Great Expectations for McMillon, but now it's just a Bleak House.
|7 hours 45 min ago||"More PC to appease the lunatic fringe."|
|7 hours 53 min ago||Webb has (or maybe "had") been sending extremely positive vibes||
Yeah, and I'm gonna ask him about that. I think Sam covers UM recruiting as well or better than anybody, but he isn't perfect, and it seems to me that real optimism was hardly warranted here, especially since an official hasn't happened.
|8 hours 17 min ago||Given multiple visits to Alabama, incl. w/parents, it's puzzling||
why McMillon got so much attention from Michigan recruiting experts to begin with. His own description of his visit here is like a barely stifled yawn.
|15 hours 8 min ago||Here's the link at TTB|
|1 day 7 hours ago||Coming soon to a stadium near you..maybe sooner than we think||
I've come across rumors that ticket sales for the Appy St. game were 20-30K below capacity not too long ago. I'm assuming it's just typical internet exaggeration—that's a large hole to climb out of ticket-sales-wise, unless you start essentially giving them away.
|1 day 8 hours ago||"would rather have World Cup than UM football NC"||
Maybe it's because I went to school at U-M, but this is simply incomprehensible to me. Nothing takes precedence over Michigan football. Ever.
|1 day 12 hours ago||Woodson gets most of the publicity—justifiably—||
for the defense in 1997, but what made him especially effective was the fact that our defensive line had three guys who were talented enough to play in the NFL—Josh Williams, James Hall, and Glen Steele—and a fourth—Rob Renes—who was All-American his senior year. They were regularly crushing the pocket up the middle, which made bltizes from the outside particularly devastating. If they weren't sacking the QB outright, they were hurrying the throw, and Woodson (and the other DBs and LBs) were there to pick off or knock down anything that wasn't perfectly placed.
|1 day 13 hours ago||simply could not form a coherent sentence in this entire video||
You're being sarcastic, right?
|1 day 13 hours ago||I just bought a package XL condoms.||
If you don't have any balloons on which to experiment with a straight razor, condoms will be a perfectly fine substitute.
Pro tip: experts recommend shaving the condom while wearing it—it helps with concentration.
|1 day 15 hours ago||I recommend Martin Scorsese's approach|
|2 days 8 hours ago||Also saw Shallman w/ the TEs.||
I was saying a year ago that I thought TE offered more potential playing time for him at this level than RB.
|2 days 9 hours ago||Amazing sounds?||
For a sec I thought this was the audio aftermath of Ferrigno's burrito from Chipotle.
|2 days 13 hours ago||A good friend and I have chewed this topic over||
Here are his ideas. I think some are great, others aren't feasible, and #10 is a must-have.
1. Abolish the NCAA and CFA and replace with a new governing institution, run by a strong board of directors selected to better represent the educational interests of the universities, which are the interests that should be held paramount in the process of reform. It is held that the ethical principles that should guide the operation of universities are being undermined by the way big time college football is run and by the people running it.
2. Create a select committee to undertake a comprehensive review of the rules, equipment and practices of college football with the goal of making the sport much safer for the physical and mental well being of the players. Rule changes could include such things as limiting weight of players, restrictions on certain kinds of plays and hitting.
3. Limit the season to ten games. Games to be played on Saturdays, with each school given the option to play one game per season on a different day.
4. Set-up a playoff system involving at least 8 teams.
5. Eliminate freshman eligibility.
6. Limit salaries of head coaches to a formula relating to pay of teachers. For example the coach could be paid no more than the average of the ten highest paid faculty members. Dictate that 75% of a coach’s outside earnings relating to football revert to institution.
7. Give all athletes a stipend - based on working 20-30 hours a week at a typical student job on campus. Limit scholarships to about 50% of players on teams. Require teams to have about 50% non-scholarship athletes.
8. Set up a trust fund to assist athletes with future health problems.
9. Create a system in which the punishment for rules infractions falls most heavily on individuals actually involved and the coaches. Allow for “clawback” of coaches salary if they are involved in wrong doing; place bans on individuals proven at fault. Relating to rules enforcement: create more transparent and objective investigatory and enforcement system.
10. Make Nick Saban dress up in women’s underwear bought at a Salvation Army thrift store, and require him to pose for pictures near trash cans in a dismal back alley in Tuscalooa. Worst looking picture will be on the cover of next year’s Alabama football programs.
|2 days 13 hours ago||can't get past the idea that he decommitted because Al got fired||
What we don't know is what Borges might have said to his HS coach after he got canned. If he painted a picture of dysfunction on the staff and bad-mouthed Hoke to boot, it would certainly carry some weight. Some here have doubted that Borges would do any such thing, but human nature says different, at least to me.
|2 days 16 hours ago||your implication that the AD purposely moves athletes away from||
I made no such implication in my comments, nor do I think that's what happened. All I said was that apparently Michigan's presentation to Hand was for sports management, not engineering.
I think what happened was as you suggest, that Hand didn't have the academic qualifications to get into Michigan's engineering program as an incoming freshman. That's nothing to be ashamed about, since there are plenty of kids with great academic records who don't get into UM Engine either.
|3 days 3 hours ago||Maybe they need to find a different caterer||
Perhaps chicken wings from Meijer's isn't the best choice after all.
Too bad Delong's ain't around anymore.
|3 days 3 hours ago||SEC and SEC Network slurping.||
There's a simple cure for that—kick SEC asses regularly when the opportunity presents itself. Until that happens—regularly—the SEC will continue to get slurped.
|3 days 4 hours ago||As per Brian's post on 6-12-2013||
"Well, let's go back to
"[Hand] said the reason Virginia Tech is out is because of academics … at Michigan, when he came on the visit, he said he was blown away by his interaction with the sports marketing [ed: think that's actually supposed to be management] professor. He raved about it, went on and on about it… and he said it again in an interview I just did with him. He said it was the best academic presentation he's been around, said it made a profound impact on him. … Now, at Alabama he's looking at potentially engineering. … He said the thing that sticks out to him about Alabama is the engineering professor is a football guy. …"
I strongly disagree that Alabama treated Hand like a kid, but it seems clear that engineering at Michigan was not part of the presentation to Hand, since all he mentioned was sports management and this Professor Rosentraub.
It's naive to think that football-specific concerns weren't key to Hand's decision, but if his original goal was to major in engineering, and Alabama was going to make that possible, then it's an advantage to Alabama.
As far as the academic quality of their engine program goes, nobody's saying that it's a top-shelf program, but that doesn't mean that Alabama engine grads cannot become competent, qualified professional engineers.
Who knows whether how much of this stuff, if any, applies to McMillon. He might be just thinking that if he attends Alabama, he'll be in the NFL soon enough making McMillions.
|3 days 7 hours ago||Alabama engineering strikes again||
If Alabama makes it possible for their recruits to be in the engineering program while we try to convince them to go into sports marketing, I don't blame a kid who's seriously interested in engineering to choose Tuscaloosa.
|3 days 7 hours ago||And Sam Webb himself reported the transportation issues||
From the MLive article:
"Scout.com's Sam Webb reported last week that McMillon's parents were not going to be able to make the drive with him to Ann Arbor on Sunday, which meant that if he was going to attend at all, he'd need to catch a ride with another recruit. Apparently, that's not happening."
The distance from Memphis to Ann Arbor: 738 miles, over 10 hours driving time
The distance from Memphis to Tuscaloosa: 231 miles, 3 1/2 hours driving time
Not every family has the dough to hop on a plane and fly someplace to watch their kid play football.
|3 days 8 hours ago||Cake sucks without icing.||
Cake sucks with icing. Pies rule.
|3 days 11 hours ago||people like what they feel is in their best interests.||
The responses on concussions is one outlier on that.
|3 days 12 hours ago||Nice table cloth||
Holy moly, my mom had a tablecloth like that in 1973. Or was it curtains...
|4 days 8 hours ago||I swear Jon06 isn't my alter ego.||
Well of course he isn't. Anybody can see that he's your dog.
A very talented dog.