this week in unintentionally grim-sounding recruiting headlines
- Member for
- 7 years 4 weeks
- View recent blog entries
|8 hours 15 min ago||I just moved away from GR.||
I just moved away from GR. Here are my favorites that I've been to in Grand Rapids, along with some notes:
1. Founders: World class beer and a really cool atmosphere as well. There's always some interesting stuff on tap that you can't find in the bottles. Good sandwiches.
2. Hopcat: They brew a few of their own beers which are pretty solid. With Hopcat, however, you go for their vast tap list and the expertise of the employees in being able to match you up with flavors you will like. At one point, this was rated the second or third best beer bar in the world. Solid food at moderate prices.
3. Brewery Vivant: Belgian brewery with excellent beer (if you're into Belgian stuff) and good, but more expensive, food. The venue is in what appears to be a renovated church. Really cool atmosphere.
4. Hideout Brewing: The venue isn't much to look at unless it's a nice day, in which you can enjoy their porch. Hideout usually has 20+ beers and meads on tap and a lot of it is exotic. Very creative stuff, but no food.
5. The Mitten: They usually only have 5-6 beers on tap, but the beers are good. Excellent pizza and a really cool atmosphere in a renovated old firehouse.
6. GR Brewing: Probably the weakest beer on the list IMO, but pretty good food and a great atmosphere. It's right by Hopcat, the BOB, and Founders if you want to do a little brewery crawl.
7. The BOB brewing (bottom floor): Sporadic beer quality, but not the best atmosphere. A bit too clubby in the evening for my tastes. Maybe catch a comedy show or something and check out the beer. The peanut butter porter is killer, but probably isn't on tap this time of year.
8. Harmony: I went when they first opened and was underwhelmed. Pretty good pizza, and I've heard the beer has improved substantially.
9. Elk Brewing: I was not there for long, but the beer seemed decent. My memory of this place is not the best.
I have never been to Perrin (somehow), but their beer is probably second only to Founders for me. I've also never been to New Holland, which puts out some outstanding stuff these days. If you like sours, you should try their Incorrigible. Oddside has been good from what I've tasted, but I've also never been there. Arcadia is also within an hour from GR and they put out some excellent beer. The restaurant is also cool and has killer wood-oven pizza. Pick up a case of Whitsun and see how you think it compares to Oberon. I think it's better. You should be able to get at least one kind of Shorts on tap at most beer bars that aren't dedicated breweries.
|2 days 4 hours ago||IMO losing your scholarship is a pretty harsh||
IMO losing your scholarship is a pretty harsh punishment as it is.
|2 days 7 hours ago||(No subject)||
|2 days 12 hours ago||Taysom Hill from BYU is going||
Taysom Hill from BYU is going to put up some points. Hopefully we can do the same.
|3 days 18 hours ago||I agree. Poor apostrophe usage is the||
I agree. Poor apostrophe usage is the worst.
|4 days 17 hours ago||Something has changed. It||
Something has changed. It smells like prunes and tighty whities suddenly. Also, as someone who has amassed 15,000 MgoPoints in 6 months, you might want to scale back the nerd talk a bit.
|5 days 12 hours ago||I have posted one or two||
I have posted one or two things before. Ohio State has lost 3 games in 3 years and is coming off a national title. I think our coach is as good as theirs, but they are already established. They, currently, have it better than us.
|5 days 12 hours ago||Except Ohio State--Ohio State||
Except Ohio State--Ohio State has it better than us.
|1 week 1 day ago||Denard was the only person on||
Denard was the only person on the team who was able to run the ball for most of his career here. This includes at the RB position in 2012. I don't think that is a "gimmick."
|1 week 1 day ago||It's on a Thursday night, which makes that an||
It's on a Thursday night, which makes that an annoyance for people who work typical hours.
|1 week 2 days ago||Not sure how I feel about the Sugar Bowl being on||
Not sure how I feel about the Sugar Bowl being on there. We won, the that was brutal to watch IMO.
|1 week 3 days ago||I thought Green was starting||
I thought Green was starting to put it together when he got injured last year. Regarding Deveon, I love how tough he is, but he's just so slow. I feel like he would have a lot of trouble with big, physical teams that tackle well. Regarding, Isaac, I know very little about him other than the fact that he had a good average in garbage time at USC.
With all of this said, I think Johnson's knee is the biggest factor for us at this position. He was by far the best back on the team last year.
|1 week 4 days ago||This is what a boo sounds||
This is what a boo sounds like:
It's tough to tell who is being criticized when that noise is made, and the whole point of a team is that everyone is together. At least in the minds of the players, that includes the coaches.
|2 weeks 1 day ago||5. Darboh4. Johnson3. Glasgow2. Butt1.||
I really hope a wide receiver steps up at some point. Maybe we will get to see why Drake Harris was so highly regarded, or why Brian Cole and Freddy Canteen garnered hype during various spring camps.
|2 weeks 5 days ago||(No subject)||
|2 weeks 6 days ago||Last year we didn't go to a||
Last year we didn't go to a bowl, so I don't think that beating at least one top 10 team is pretty safe money. With that said, I would rather beat MSU. Their fans are insufferable. Maybe that will change for me now that I live in Ohio.
|3 weeks 3 days ago||MSU had one of the best offenses in the country||
MSU had one of the best offenses in the country last year.
|3 weeks 3 days ago||IMO the idea of a silent||
IMO the idea of a silent commit is kinda pointless. It's someone who is committed, but not enough that they want everyone to know it because they want to visit other schools. The commitment means nothing WRT signing on the dotted line. What's the point?
|5 weeks 1 day ago||I thought Green looked like||
I thought Green looked like he was on his way to his best performance of the year when he broke his collarbone. He was finding holes and breaking tackles that day IIRC.
|8 weeks 12 hours ago||Smart||
|13 weeks 1 day ago||Well then I have good news||
Well then I have good news for you! They started selling it again on Amazon this year.
|13 weeks 1 day ago||This post is fascinating.||
This post is fascinating.
|13 weeks 6 days ago||GVSU is a good school (and||
GVSU is a good school (and it's where I got my Masters) but the amount of abuse members of this board give to MSU is a bit extreme. It's a strong university. It's not elite all around like UM, but is a solid academic institution with several elite programs.
|15 weeks 9 hours ago||Yeah, whenever I see people||
Yeah, whenever I see people dogging OSU's academics I chuckle a bit. It may not be elite in as many areas as UM, but it is nationally elite in quite a few, including my specialty.
|15 weeks 11 hours ago||Yeah, but this is not the||
Yeah, but this is not the first time I've heard praises of Madison. Great school and great city from my understanding. I'd still pick UM as a school, but people I know who have been to both usually prefer Madison.
|15 weeks 12 hours ago||Why?||
|15 weeks 12 hours ago||That may be the case, but sports are for||
That may be the case, but sports are for entertainment. When they aren't entertaining, they aren't worth watching IMO.
|15 weeks 13 hours ago||Last year was the first time||
Last year was the first time I actually chose to not watch large parts of games. Our team was so boring to watch.
|15 weeks 1 day ago||If we pretend that Rocky V never happened, the||
If we pretend that Rocky V never happened, the Rocky series is great. It started out as legitimately good cinema, and transitioned into something so ridiculous it was awesome.
|15 weeks 1 day ago||Butt Taco||