I saw some post after the Wisconsin dual, which is awesome. Glad to see the support.
The Wisconsin dual saw Michigan keep on pace with what they needed, while mixing in an upset to turn what I had hoped for a tight win, into a dominating win. The biggest bright spot for me was Michigan showed the unfortunate loss of Wisconsin’s top wrestler, Andrew Howe at 165, wouldn’t have mattered.
Bout by Bout
#13Michigan – 26 #6Wisconsin - 9
Dual started at 174:
- 174 – Justin Zeerip(UM) wins by dec. 2-1 over #12 Ben Jordan(UW). Nice upset to kick off the dual. This put Michigan ahead of the pace right away as I predicted UW to pick this one up. UW’s Jordan had been wrestling well heading into this match, so a quality with for Zeerip. Also a big win in that this kicked off a string of Wisconsin’s toughest part of the lineup. UM-3,UW-0
- 184 – #3 Travis Rutt(UW) wins by dec. 6-3 over Hunter Collins(UM). Such thing as a good loss? I would consider this one. Collins took on the #3 Rutt and kept it close to avoid the bonus points I thought they might grab. UM-3, UW-3
- 197 - #2 Trevor Brandvold(UW) wins by dec. 4-1 over #10Anthony Biondo(UM). Prediction came through on this one. Biondo was up against a tough opponent, although limited in action lately, an anchor for the Badgers. UM-3, UW-6
- 285 – #10 Ben Apland(UM) wins by dec. 5-2 over #11 Eric Bugenhagen(UW). Big win for Michigan as this looked like it could have been a swing match with two closely ranked opponents. Apland won earlier in the year and did again here, tying up the dual. UM-6, UW-6
- 125 – Sean Boyle(UM) wins by dec. 3-1 over Tom Kelliher(UW). Michigan kept pace with the prediction here as Boyle is a fringe ranked wrestler. This sent Michigan into intermission with the lead and having fought off UW’s strongest weights. UM-9, UW-6
- 133 - #3 Tyler Graff(UW) wins by dec. 8-5 over #19Zac Stevens(UM). Wisconsin’s last ranked wrestler and I had a feeling Michigan’s Stevens could keep away from bonus points here. He did. UM-9, UW-9
- 141 – #1 Kellen Russell(UM) wins by maj. dec. 10-2 over Shane McQuade(UW). Michigan didn’t really need the bonus points, but, I thought Russell would probably pick them up here as he did, dominating McQuade throughout the match. UM-13, UW-9
- 149 – Eric Grajales(UM) wins by maj. dec. 11-3 over Shawn Perry(UW). Grajales showed how tough he is getting as the season wears on as he turned a predicted win into a major decision. UM-17, UW-9
- 157 - #20 Brandon Zeerip(UM) wins by PIN over Kalvin York(UW). Brandon surprisingly dominated and eventually got the pin. Expected win, unexpected big bonus points. UM-23, UW-9
- 165 - #19 Dan Yates(UM) wins by dec. 6-0 over Ben Cox(UW). This is the spot Wisconsin is missing their defending national champ, but, the dual was already buttoned up and Yates took advantage of situation, tacking on 3 more for blue. UM-26, UW-9
Prediction: Michigan 19 – Wisconsin 13
Result: Michigan 26 – Wisconsin 9
As encouraging as the Wisconsin dual was, the return home was disappointing. Some good signs were taken from it. There was some misfortune. The overall outcome though, shows Michigan isn’t at that top level yet.
Bout by Bout
Dual started at 133:
#3Penn State – 28 #13Michigan - 13
- 133 – #9 Andrew Long(PSU wins by maj. dec. 16-6 over #19 Zac Stevens(UM). Stevens hung in there tough, but, gave up to those bonus points at the end. Something I thought he could avoid. Long just proved too tough. UM-0, PSU-4
- 141 - #1 Kellen Russell(UM) wins by dec. 3-1(OT) over #7 Andrew Alton(PSU). Typical close match with Russell finding a way to pull it out. Alton can be tough and keeping him from scoring for PSU is always a big plus. UM-3, PSU-4
- 149 – #5 Frank Molinaro(PSU) wins by dec. 8-3 over Eric Grajales(UM). I thought Grajales could keep this close, but, after watching Molinaro Friday night at MSU, I had my doubts. Grajales wrestled tough though and showed to be a real solid piece for UM moving forward. I think you will see him ranked when the next ranking come out. UM-3, PSU-7
- 157 - #3 David Taylor (PSU) wins by PIN over #20 Brandon Zeerip(UM). Very disappointing loss for Michigan. Zeerip was coming off a big win Friday night and was dominated right off the whistle. PSU’s Taylor is a very impressive wrestler, but, Michigan can not give up pins. UM-3, PSU-13
- 165 - #19 Dan Yates(UM) wins by dec. 5-2 over Nick Fischer(PSU). Yates capped off a solid weekend for him. I predicted a win over another wrestler at this weight, but, they were pretty interchangeable here. Michigan kept pace with expectations here, but, with falling behind earlier in the dual, they handicapped their chances at winning as intermission came. UM-6, PSU-13
- 174 – #2 Ed Ruth(PSU) wins by dec. 13-6 over Justin Zeerip(UM). A loss for UM, but, the first chip in their favor for my prediction. PSU’s Ruth is extremely tough and for Zeerip to hold off bonus points is a big plus. A good sign moving forward this season with Zeerip overachieving in both duals this weekend. UM-6, PSU-16
- 184 – #14 Quentin Wright(PSU) wins by PIN over Hunter Collins(UM). Off the heels of some sign of light, UM’s Collins gets caught and stuck in 24 seconds. It happens, it shouldn’t, it did. A dual win got put to rest here. UM-6, PSU-22
- 197 - #10 Anthony Biondo(UM) wins by maj. dec. 12-3 over Nick Ruggear(PSU). Biondo beat another lion earlier by a comfortable margin and upped it to a major decision this time. A good win for Blue. UM-9, PSU-22
- 285 - #5 Cameron Wade(PSU) wins by PIN over #10 Ben Apland(UM). Tough one to swallow here. Apland lost a close one earlier in the year and was taking a 4 point lead into the final period to pick up a big win. All this before getting rolled and pinned. Apland showed some of that hair pulling wrestling you get from him. A plus win turned into a negative loss and made the dual look a lot worse then it should have. UM-9, PSU-28
- 125– Sean Boyle(UM) wins by dec. 6-2 over Nate Morgan(PSU). PSU’s #11 Pataky didn’t wrestle this weekend and instead Morgan got the call. Boyle took advantage.UM-12, PSU-28
Final Team Score Prediction: Michigan 9 – Penn State 23
Result: Michigan 12 – Penn State 28
The good to take from this dual was the tough wrestling from Eric Grajales and Justin Zeerip along with Kellen Russell staying unbeaten. Yates and Biondo Wrestled to expectations.
The bad. Brandon Zeerip, Hunter Collins and Ben Apland can not get pinned. All had tough matches, but, no excuse for getting stuck.
Looking forward: The weekend went somewhat as expected in the win loss column. Michigan will host Minnesota and travel to Iowa next weekend for two VERY good duals. I think Michigan has already had their toughest test in Penn State and has a shot as they take on both of these top 10 teams. I’ll put a preview up. I also saw someone suggest getting a thread going for the next televised dual. That would be very cool. Hopefully its not a student U broadcast that has me banging my head against a wall.