TheWolverine.com provides their take on the standout defensive performers of spring practice. This article is not behind their paywall.
- Most Improved: JT Floyd and Will Campbell
- Breakout Starter in 2010: Greg Banks and Cam Gordon
- Could Be Starting By Oct. 1: Kenny Demens
- Freshmen Expected To Contribute In 2010: Cullen Christian and Josh Furman
- MVPs: Jonas Mouton and Craig Roh
Click on the link for the full ananlysis, but here are my thoughts:
- Their evaluation of JT Floyd is the most encouraging word I've heard about his spring performance and provides some measure of reassurance about the state of the cornerbacks.
- Greg Banks apparently has a compelling story that they will roll out in their Football Preview. Could be another reason to get it if you don't already buy everything Michigan Football related.
- They buy into the Kenny Demens love and the Obi Ezeh skepticism.
- Amidst all the Dorsey obsession, their focus on Cullen Christian and particularly Josh Furman is interersting. Of course until these guys get on campus for summer conditioning and camp, who knows if they'll really be instant contributors, but the idea of "Furman [who] is a bit of a freak, boasting a 4.3 40-yard dash with the strength and power to play linebacker" competing for playing time at Spur is exciting.
- More Roh man love and admit it, you're smitten too: "The 6-5, 249-pounder, already showing the leadership skills of a future captain, should emerge one of the Big Ten's best pass rushers and one of the league's most versatile defenders. One astute observer noted: 'I don't think we've seen any Michigan defender, as close to the line of scrimmage as he plays, like him in 20 years.'"