I acknowledge I was a bit underwhelmed with the hiring of Brady Hoke, but I really like what he is doing to build his staff. Mattison was a major coup. While I was at first skeptical of going back to Lloydball, I really think that Al Borgess has it right on how to win in the Big 10 (we have clearly seen for 3 years what does not work).
There is a new video interview with our new OC posted today.
In case you missed it, here are the key points:
- You win with toughness, this game is "not for the faint of heart"
- likes the offense - strong line, backs are "solid" and receivers "galore".
- Plans to use Spring practice to assess what formations work best with the talent
- Will demand great effort and run every play like it is your last
- Premium on execution ..."everything is done wiht maticulous execution"
After seeing these interview the last couple days, I am getting genuinely optimistic. First, these guys are all geniunely happy to be here and clearly see this as a destination job. They all think the world of Brady Hoke. (Mattison is only coming here because of Brady). Lastly, they seem to really know how to win in the Big 10.
After being a skeptic, I am looking forward to the meticulous execution (maybe no more stupid penalties on first and goal from the 5) and toughness. If we have to sacrifice a few 500yd offense days against NC, for a few more W's against the Big 10, I am all for the new regime.