September 15th, 2010 at 2:24 PM
From UMass blog, http://umass74.blogspot.com/
- Of the 47 players to see action in the season opening win vs. William & Mary, 17 made their UMass debuts (nine redshirt freshmen, two true freshmen and seven transfers), and against Holy Cross, 12 more Minutemen made their debuts, giving UMass 29 first-year players that have seen action in the first two games.
- The following transfers made their UMass debuts: WR Anthony Nelson, TB John Griffin, OL Greg Niland, OL Nick Speller, DL Galen Clemons, LB Chad Hunte.
- Of the 22 starters, seven were playing their first snap for UMass, in the William & Mary game (LT Speller, LG Niland, TB Griffin, WR Nelson, DE Potvin, DT Byrne, CB Lee).
- UMass has played two true freshmen: LB Stanley Andre and DB Antoine Tharpe. With Andre playing, UMass has used a true freshman linebacker for three years in a row: Tyler Holmes 2008 and Perry McIntyre in 2009.
- UMass has eight players, four of which started last game, that are transfers from FBS programs. LT Nick Speller (Syracuse), TE Andrew Krevis (Eastern Michigan), DT Brandon Flanagan (Buffalo), and LB Mike Mele (Syracuse) all started last week while CB David Cozzo (USF), WR Dan Sheeran (Syracuse), DL Galen Clemons (Central Michigan), and P Caleb Violette (Virginia Tech) all saw action.