On weeks when Michigan wins an exciting game I always wish there was a way for Brian to magically post the UFRs on Monday morning. Instead I refresh my browser frequently craving more information about the game. So let's discuss what we expect to see when we see the official UFR later this week.
Is it possible to feel better about your defense in a week where they gave up 65 points and 500+ yards? I thought that the six punts, the 3-and-outs, the bad field position, and even a rare turn-over showed some signs of progress against a decent offense. Obviously they still are a woeful unit that won't turn the corner until at least 2011, but we're craving small signs. Here's what I'm guessing we'll see in Brian's UFR scores:
- Roh - Slightly positive (pressure, generated holding calls)
- Martin - Slightly positive, not beast like (still playing hurt)
- RVB - Slightly positive (his usual score, just above zero)
- Mouton - Around zero (typical Mouton with tons of highs and tons of negatives)
- Demens - Significant positive (some very solid plays and looked like a true MLB)
- Fitzgerald/Ezeh - Significant negative (some blown plays, nothing positive.)
- Rogers - Slight negative? (almost invisible despite man coverage, which is good for him)
- Avery - Significant negative (actually did some good things and nearly made a play on the long TD, but was probably to blame for at least one wheel route)
- T. Gordon - Slight positive (good pressure, no blown coverage?)
- Vinopal - Slight positive if Brian gives him lots of credit for the 3rd and 1
Obviously that can't be right. That's too many predictions of positive scores for that game. I guess when you grow to expect horrible play, you find reasons to focus on the small amounts of positive play. What am I missing?
I don't think there's much point in going player-by-player on a day when they put up 67 points and 676 yards. There were some more drops by the WR that really hurt, but overall you can't complain too much. Smith had his best day. The OL looked pretty great all day, though Lewan probably comes in negative due to the penalties.
What else do people expect to see?