Switzerland won 3-2 (Shootout) over Belarus today and will play Team USA tomorrow. I can't come up with any good warcries (beat that...persistently neutral country where there are a lot of banks and mountains and stuff!!!!) but hopefully we will destroy them with the power of our awesomeness.
Hiller is dangerous in single elimination, but is concerning me.
Of course, so is Miller as we well know.
Swiss Miss sucks! (actually, it isn't that bad)
Was invented in New York I believe. Suck on that Swiss.
Your Banks, Watches, and Chocolate aren't trendy anymore!
Put holes in them like cheese!
Eat them like chocolate!
Beat them so their clocks don't work!
Clean their clocks?
They love their hockey team here in a country of 7 million that "Rhode Island could beat the crap out of in a war...."
And they love their cows and cowbells....when bike riding in the mountains, the cows chase you along the hillside like puppies with those damn cowbells clanging away.
Always need more cowbell....
Do not confuse neutrality with wimpiness. Every Swiss citizen is provided with a weapon and ammo (no joke).
Isn't it just people in the army, not everybody?
Women can volunteer; men are conscripted (if they haven't volunteered).
You're right, I should have said "all male Swiss citizens". In any event, it's not a population you want to mess with.
Keys to the game for the USA:
1. Forcheck the hell out of them. Pressure the Swiss D like they have been doing to every team so far and hit them continuously. Since the Swiss played 70 minutes today and the USA got the day off, the constant forcheck should also wear down the Swiss as the game goes on.
2. Get shots on Hiller. He looked real shaky today, so test him early and shoot from everywhere and crash the net for rebounds.
3. Back check. The Swiss really do not have any offense (insert neutral, non warring joke here) to speak of. All the forwards have to back check and make sure that they do not get any good chances or odd man rushes like the first time these two teams played.
4. Don't take stupid penalties and convert when you get power plays (I know, special teams are important...who would have guessed?)
5. Beware of the let down game. The win over Canada (!!!) is (as awesome as it was) over and its time to fight for a medal. Do not take the Swiss lightly. Do not let them build up confidence, frustrate them, wear them down, and get up early so there is no drama as I go to take a midterm exam at 4pm. (Damn you NBC/Olympics for scheduling this during a midterm)
I hate facing a goalie like Hiller in a single elimination game, but any team the US faces from here on out will have goalies that can steal games so screw it. Luckily for the US, we have the best goalie in the tournament. The USA is a more talented team and has no excuse for not advancing to the Semifinals.
USA wins 5-2
They did exactly those things in the prelim game against the Swiss. No reason to expect a different effort tomorrow. The team is young and hungry, and Wilson is a competent coach. They will be ready.
Now if only the game wasn't at 3:00 EST...
This game scares me because on paper they don't have a chance. As we Michigan fans know, Air Force on paper didn't stand a chance last year.
Air Force had a wicked awesome goalie.
And the U.S. isn't starting Hogan...
I got your chocolate RIGHT HERE!
USA should win this game. If they can repeat their performance in their 1st game against the Swiss, USA should advance.
Hiller is Swiss' biggest weapon and their main threat of ruining USA's chances of medalling(like everybody else has been saying). It probably will be moot point if Ryan Miller can continue to play on a hot streak.
I'm looking at the TV Listings on the NBC Olympics site, and this game is on NBC but only 3-5 PM (Eastern) is blocked out.
Are they going to have the whole game, or is it going to finish on another channel (MSNBC starts at 5 PM but lists curling)???