With 2015 recruiting sort of slow for MBB and some high profile guys like Kennard, Grandstaff, McQuaid choosing elsewhere while the Jalen(s) show set to be a long slog, maybe we get a 2016 Hello! before a 2015?
Seth Towns, he of the 6'7 willow thin 180 lbs SF type, was in town this week for a full academic tour - and per his twittergram:
Visited The University of Michigan today. Hands down the best visit I've been on thus far #blessed
Now that this is a basketball school, I will admit I have been focusing on the 2015s and not aware of the 2016s other than perhaps the top player in the country is in Michigan and not even bothering to give us a sniff (boo). So doing some due diligence on Mr. Towns (who happens to go to the same school as Trey Burke did....deep in Buckeye territory) some tidbits via UMhoops.com
This mutual admiration society started early when Towns was a freshman- from last June:
- Seth was up here with his team for UM's summer camp
- Shooting is his specialty, needs to work on handle/rebounding
UMHoops story last September - headline said it all aka UM prioritizing Towns. Takeaways - smart, wants to be an engineer... thinks UM fans are pretty darn good... probably saw a mirror image in body type with Caris. Due to age Beilein was not apparently yet even allowed to talk to Towns directly...
- Towns already holds Xavier and Dayton offers while West Virginia, Ohio State and Michigan are tracking him closely. But according to Towns, there is one school that is paying closer attention than any other at the moment. “The school that’s been going after me the hardest is Michigan,” Towns said during a brief interview on Monday.
- Of the Michigan fans, Towns said they had to be “the best fans in the country.”
- He was also able to hang out with the team during the pre-game tailgate, specifically talking with Caris LeVert and Jordan Morgan. Towns said talking with Morgan was especially helpful because Morgan is graduating from the Engineering school, an area of interest academically for Towns.
- “I loved it,” Towns said. “I felt comfortable as soon as I got in there. I loved the players, how they acted. They were some goofballs. I liked how they could have fun but be serious at the same time.”
Per article this week - essentially Towns has been up here at least half a dozen times on unofficials, and had the full academic experience yesterday, which obviously he enjoyed.
As expected most of his limited highights are an outside shooting display but over time one would expect him to gain strength, and improve his handle and become "not just a shooter". Sounds like a typical Beilein recruit who excels at the shooting early, not super high ranked at this time but as he develops other tools and offers come in, will work his way up the rankings.
June 15th is the first day UM extends offers to the 2016s.... sounds like quite a few will be going out and Towns sure sounds interested in getting one.