It's the off-season - bear with me here (or ignore the thread).
Help me out: Am I the only one totally annoyed by people calling Ohio State "Ohio." Here's the reasons that make me feel queasy:
1. Obvs: Ohio University. It is confusing at times.
2. It's not clever. I'm all about clever, subtle jabs at other schools: such as "tOSU". Or the "We Own Penn State" chant sung to Zombie Nation at Crisler. That's clever trolling I can get behind. "Ohio" isn't really clever to me.
3. It's a schticky main-stream media non-story created at the start of Hoke's career.
4. Hoke. I can appreciate he is sincere in his Bo/Woody-isms. I hate that it's another way for people to assert an anti-intellectual label to him. Like the saying goes, if we were winning, then it would probably be ignored.
5. It's kinda disrespectful to OU. There is a school that's named Ohio in Ohio. I like them much more than OSU and therefore side with them in their spat over the use of the word.
Just had to throw that one out there. Anyone in my boat. Or am I Francis and totally need to lighten up?
UPDATE: I've appreciated the views of everyone. This is turning into an interesting topic that's more nuanced that it may initially appear. Everyone Murders (an appropriate handle for the subject) put more eloquently than I:
I've got no problem when Hoke describes OSU as "Ohio". I think it's a habit that he has, and a bit endearing because it seems like he sincerely has to choke out that word - as though choking out the whole name of "Ohio State University" (or even "Ohio State") is too hard for him to stomach. So Hoke referring to Ohio State as "Ohio" is OK by me.
When everyone else uses it, I find it confusing and a bit forced. There is a legitimate Div. I university called Ohio University, they knocked us out of the NCAA tournament one year, and their mascot famously punched and horse-collar tackled Brutus. Ohio University was founded over 60 years before OSU. Importantly, most people I've met from Ohio University dislike OSU, and look at the OSU fanbase as a bunch of meatheads. I've got some respect for Ohio University.
Consequently, for people not named Brady Hoke I'm in the call Ohio State University either "Ohio State" or "OSU" camp. (Or call them Buckeyes or "cooler poopers". Or call them "library onanists" or "patio furniture fornicators".)
I would add truck-drivers to that list as well