Toney Clemens! What too soon
I'VE HAD JUST ABOUT ENOUGH OF YOU SONNY
Toney Clemens! What too soon
Jerry Montgomery coached 1/3 of the defensive line for 2 years and a lot people assume he was the DC in waiting? I'm really happy that those people don't work for the Michigan football program. Holy shit.
Bring on Les Miles! But only if Saban can't be lured here.
.. get a QB coach now? I think we are set at DL.
I agree, I think we should pick up either a Special Teams Coach or a QB Coach
What about Hulk Hogan? I bet he could recruit well.
I prefer the Steiner brothers.
Jerry did good work at Michigan. Sad to see him go, but I wish the best for him. It's the nature of the beast.
I know that this would not be the usual approach, but what about offering the job to a successful high school head coach at a program that has tons of talent? This would be especially interesting if it could open up a pipeline to a school or area where Michigan has not had much success (a big time program in Georgia or the like)
If they go the alum route, I would vote for Cato June.
Thanks for the great work at Michigan. Good luck to him in the future. Now we need to find the next Michigan Man.
Recruiters are far more difficult to come by than x's and o's men. Need to push his cardboard box out the door so we can bring in somebody with Montgomery's ability to relate to teens and their parents....again, Mike Hart or how's this for an idea...poach somebody else's guy like ours was
but someone who knows DLine please.
For Jerry, he gets to build his resume. Coaching is a small fraternity based largely on relationships, so Jerry adds Stoops as a sponsor in addition to Hoke and he interacts with more B12 and some SEC staffs.
For us, Hoke can hire for specific needs now that he has 2 yrs with this staff and full recruiting cycles. Maybe we really need a coach with ties to VA/Carolinas or some other area to recruit better.
I see alot of posters saying we should hire a specials teams coach or a qb coach but michigan already has Dan Ferrigno coaching special teams and Gorges Al coaching the qb's.
On another note: How many HC's coach a position other than QB's? It seems like Hoke is the only coach u hear about who coaches a position group other than quarterback.
Charles Woodson, anyone?
Not really worried bout it. We got plenty of options and I am confident Hoke and Mattison will find someone legit.
How about Kate Upton?
consider. JM is a relatively young guy, and as stated in an earlier post has never stayed at a post loonger than 2 years. He probably has designs on a head coaching job one day. Michigan and Oaklahoma on the resume probably does not hurt in that case.
Oaklahoma may offer a chance for diversification of responsibilities that Mich alone MAY not. Maybe a Coordinator posistion, assistant head coach posistion. His recruiting foot print may expand for future purposes ie head coaches with a broad national recruiting base is probably preferable to a relatively limited base.
Ususally most articles mention Hokes influence on the DL coaching. Montgomery may not resent that but now he is the DL headliner now, which also looks better on the resume. Maybe it's time for JM to step out of that "shadow" take the lessons he's learned from Mattison and Hoke and branch out and apply them. At this juncture too much is unknow and speculation is all we really have other than. OU offered a young coach that has a history of moving an opportunity he could not pass up. On the surface to Mich fans it looks like a lateral move but obviously not in his eyes. He was offered a competative compensation package.
What we don't know: Was he encouraged by Hoke to move on for the sake of JM's upward mobility (hokes blessings)
Did JM initiate the contact?
Was the compensation package an empty jesture or actually a good faith effort? (doubtful since Dave Brandons comments on Mich assistant compensation). I'm sure these and other details will surface in the comming months from some thoughtful insider type.
JM intiated the contact when he was recruiting players for us. It was more Oklahoma looked at Michigan's D-Line and said, "Well, we can't get Hoke or Mattison, so let's get Montgomery."
Our brand takes a hit if it really came down to a bidding war.
HOWEVA, if there's one position where this hurts least, it's Montegomery's. Hoke obsesses about the D-Line (remember when he gave a seminar on it), so I'm confident that he'll find an adequate replacement who knows his stuff.
I would have been more worried if Curt Mallory (M alum who coaches the secondary) made a lateral move. Or Dan Ferrigno (TEs and kicking game). Those two had the biggest impact on our defensive turnaround in 2011, along with Greg Mattison and Hoke.
Montegomery will be missed. He was a good coach for us. But it wasn't like Hoke had him for seven+ years and now has no idea what to do. Montgomery was one of the few guys on the new staff that didn't come from SDSU with Hoke.
can get a good gauge on how great the 2014 DL commit if suddenly they have an OU offer.
Good luck to Jerry.
We will find out how big a loss this is next year. If our d line play goes downhill, then it was not good letting him go. If our d line play gets better, then not such a loss.
I know this may mean nothing, and I'm not sure if it's been stated before (didn't see any reference). But from the TomVH chat/questions he asked the incoming class, this struck me:
3) Which coach on Michigan's staff -- other than Brady Hoke -- were you the most impressed with during your recruitment?
Running backs coach Fred Jackson -- 6
Defensive coordinator Greg Mattison -- 6
Wide receivers coach Jeff Hecklinski -- 5
Linebackers coach Mark Smith -- 2
Offensive line coach Darrell Funk -- 2
Ond vote each -- offensive coordinator Al Borges, special teams/tight end coach Dan Ferrigno, defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery
Only one vote for Jerry Montgomery. So while having Coach Montgomery leave is certainly a buzzkill, at least he wasn't on the top of that list. Makes me feel a little better about this. I think we'll be OK.
I am offering my energy to the universe in hope that they pull the brilliant stroke and bring back Vance Bedford. Sure, he is the DC at Louisville, but offer him a raise and the opportunity to replace Mattison down the road. The defensive backfield becomes a strength in short order.
He developed Charles Woodson fergodsakes.
• In 2012, the defense finished in the top 25 for the third straight season. The Cardinals were ranked 23rd in the nation in total defense and 16th in pass defense.
• Louisville finished 23rd in total defense in 2011 after ranking 14th in 2010. Bedford's defense was 10th nationally against the run, 17th in scoring defense and 21st in sacks in 2011.
• In 2010, Louisville was 10th in pass defense and seventh in the country in sacks.
• In 2009, he helped the Gators to a 13-1 record and a win over previously-undefeated Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl.
• His secondary was one of the best in the nation, finishing seventh in the country in interceptions and second in the nation in pass efficiency defense.
• Joe Haden, a first-round pick by the Cleveland Browns, was a consensus All-American in 2009 and was also named a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, given to the nation's top defensive back.
• During the 2008 season, he guided a secondary that ranked third in pass efficiency defense and 20th in pass yardage defense. The group also tied the school record and led the nation with 26 interceptions.
• His unit returned seven interceptions for touchdowns during a four-year stretch, equaling the team`s total from the previous nine seasons combined.
• Developed three young talents in Mike Brown, Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher.
• Led the nation in pass defense in 1997 and ranked 20th in 1996.
• The Wolverines` 1997 national championship secondary set an NCAA record allowing just 8.8 yards per completion and finished fifth nationally by allowing just 133.8 passing yards per contest.
• His secondary in 1997 led the Big Ten and finished third nationally with 22 interceptions, and Charles Woodson became the only defensive player to ever win the Heisman Trophy.
Luck. No problem with him leaving if he thinks its best for him and his family.
Is the Ole Miss DL coach available? Seems to be a good recruiter
With 2 DLine coaches as head coach and DC I am sure Montgomery felt crowded, but I am sure Hoke & GREG can find a good coach soon.
Glenn Steele is the new DL coach. Book It.