This is my breakdown of different possibilities for where Michigan will end up being seeded in the B1G tournament. I believe that Michigan has eliminated themselves from #1 seed contention. The top 5 teams will be the top 5 seeds in the tournament. If Michigan wins out, I believe that the lowest they can be seeded is #4.
The most important games are going to be the ones between the top 5 teams. Those are Michigan vs. Indiana, OSU vs. Indiana, and MSU vs. Wisconsin. To make this a bit simpler, I assume that Michigan wins out, so this will look at the different permutations of the latter two. Furthermore, this also assumes that the top 5 will win any matchups against bottom 7 teams. Any upsets in that regard, will still have Michigan in the top 4, and probably the top 3.
Indiana beats OSU, MSU beats Wisconsin
- Indiana (4 losses)
- Michigan (5 losses, win over Indiana)
- MSU (5 losses)
- Wisconsin (6 losses, win over Indiana)
- OSU (6 losses)
Indiana beats OSU, Wisconsin beats MSU
- Indiana (4 losses)
- Wisconsin (5 losses, head-to-head over Michigan)
- Michigan (5 losses)
- TBD (MSU/OSU tiebreaker will be record against lower seeded teams)
OSU beats Indiana, MSU beats Wisconsin
- Indiana (5 losses, 4-2 against tied teams)
- OSU (5 losses, 3-3 against tied teams, 1-1 against Wisconsin)
- Michigan (5 losses, 3-3 against tied teams, 0-1 against Wisconsin)
- MSU (5 losses, 2-4 against tied teams)
- Wisconsin (6 losses)
OSU beats Indiana, Wisconsin beats MSU
- Wisconsin (5 losses, 3-1 against tied teams)
- OSU (5 losses, 3-3 against tied teams)
- Indiana (5 losses, 2-3 against tied teams, 2-0 against MSU)
- Michigan (5 losses, 2-3 against tied teams, 1-1 against MSU)
In any of these cases, we miss the extra game with the 5-seed, but the 4 seed looks almost as bad with the path to winning having to go through 3 of the top 5 teams. The only place where that appears to happen is with OSU and Wisconsin winning their games. We'd likely have to play MSU, Wiscsonsin, Indiana/OSU. Brutal.
Other than that, we will have the 2 or 3 seed (again this is assuming we win out). There isn't a whole lot of difference between those two. I mean, you're looking at Illinois or Minnesota then the 2 or 3 seed. In terms of the teams that I'd like to play, I'd have to say I'd like another shot at Wisconsin, partly for redemption and partly because I think they are the easiest for us to beat. That path involves OSU and MSU losing their big games.
Conclusion: Root for Michigan, against OSU, and against MSU, just like you want to.
Edit: As others have mentioned, this does not take into account winning a share of the B1G championship. For that, we need OSU to be Indiana. If that happens, then we probably want MSU to beat Wisconsin for seeding purposes. OSU and Wisconsin winning gives us 3 games against the top 5 whereas the other 3 scenarios give us 2 games against the top 5. Taking both the championship and the tournament into account, root for OSU and for MSU to do whatever OSU ends up doing.