So I'm a big fan of the NCAA's statistic pages per team. I was looking through Purdue's stat page. Couple of notes that stood out to me for whatever reason:
- Purdue is second in the BigTen in total offense. They're 2nd in rushing and 2nd in passing yards per game.
- That said, Joey Elliot is 11th in passing efficiency.
- Aaron Valentin leads their offensive unit in scoring and all purpose running. He's second in passing yards. I'm assuming this is due to a large number of screens.
- Ryan Kerrigan leads the BigTen in sacks/game. He averages 1 per contest, which is tied for 9th in the nation.
- Jason Werner is their top tackler, and averages 1.6 tackles for a loss per game. That's tied for 10th in the country.
- The pass defense is a bit better than their run defense. The run defense, statistically, is slightly better than Illinois. Make out of that what you will.
- Their offensive pass efficiency is 2nd to last in the BigTen.
- They have fumbled more than we have (14 to 11). They have also been intercepted more than we have (10-7)
- Punt returns are basically a wash between the two teams, both around 9-9.5
- They average nearly 7 yards less per punt than we do.
I'll encourage you guys to go around and sort through their page for yourselves. There's probably a few other things I missed that are probably quite interesting to some of you.