Yes, the lost sucks. We beat ourselves, and Iowa did what they needed to do to make sure it stayed as an L in our column. This post is NOT meant to take the pain or suckage that comes with losing.
However, there were some positives to build on:
- Stephen Hopkins. This boy needs to be our starting RB. Speed + power. He is the type of Big Ten back we need to have.
- Rocko Khoury. Last year, Molk goes down and everything imploded. This year, Molk goes down, we hiccup and recover to go for another 300+ yards. That is thanks to our Coaches for building depth for the first time in AGES at linemen.
- Demens. Not perfect, but attacked instead of sitting back. It was nice change of pace.
- Stonum. He started to become a "give me the damn ball, I am carrying this team on my sholders" type of WR we had hoped him to be. Secondary to that was Hemmingway. These are the types of guys we need to have around to win.
- Forcier. Yes, he had two picks where Iowa had amazing zone coverage PLUS pressure with only rushing four. However, he came in and picked Iowa apart, and needs to start seeing more PT. Not saying he needs to be the ONLY one to get snaps, however he is a far better passer then Denard and we will need that again before the year is over, especially if we get a consistent run game going with Hopkins.
- Lewan. Yes, his stupidity cost us drives. However, he neutralized one of the best DEs in the country all day long... who then turned around and terrorized Huyge. If he gets himself under control, he is Jake Long reincarnate, with some talent along the rest of the line.