I didnt see this posted yet but have you seen the backgrounds of the eight person committee assembled by Texas to conduct their coaching search? To say their backgrounds are somewhat outside of athletics in general and football specifically would be an understatement:
- 1. Steve Hicks, vice chair of the Board of Regents, one of the board’s athletics liaisons, and owner and executive chairman of Capstar Partners LLC, a private investment firm.
- 2. Robert Stillwell, member of the Board of Regents, one of the board’s athletics liaisons, retired partner at Baker Botts LLP and an original director of Mesa Petroleum Co.
- 3. Michael Clement, accounting professor, McCombs School of Business at UT Austin, and faculty representative to the Men’s and Women’s Athletics Councils.
- 4. Ricardo Hinojosa, United States federal judge for the Southern District of Texas, former member of the university’s Commission of 125.
- 5. Charles Matthews, former vice president and general counsel of Exxon Mobil, current president of the Texas Exes.
- 6. Robert Rowling, former member of the Board of Regents and owner and chairman of TRT Holdings Inc.
- 7. Charles Tate, chairman of Capital Royalty, former member of the executive committee of the university’s Commission of 125.
- 8. Pamela Willeford, former U.S. ambassador to Switzerland and Liechtenstein and former chair of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
The article does mention an executive search firm will also assist in the process but I truly have to wonder what meaningful input this group is going to be able to offer. But hey, maybe Switzerland & Lichtenstein have better football programs than I gave them credit for.