Sorry in advance if some are PSU’d out, (Well, not too sorry; Don’t click the link!) but want to share interesting article from this morning concerning PSU/NCAA. It highlights several points that are often debated.
Article states the vast majority of Penn State trustees voiced support for the university president's acceptance of severe penalties imposed by the NCAA over the school's handling of a child molestation scandal.
To summate; Article confirms several issues about the NCAA/PSU consent decree:
- It was signed to avoid much harsher penalties that were favored and in the works by NCAA officials and members. Most NCAA board members favored the so-called "death penalty" — total shutdown of the football program — for multiple years, and even more sanctions beyond that.
- It was essentially forced on the university and was “a take-it-or-leave-it proposition" — and any leak of details would take the deal off the table."
- NCAA states the decision is not subject to appeals.
- The agreement with the NCAA would allow for changes based on the agreement of both parties.
- Trustee Ryan McCombie had agreed to "temporarily suspend" his appeal but had not agreed to withdraw it. ("to allow for sufficient time for full and deliberate review.")