There is no debating that we are in a dead period in regards to all things Michigan athletics. People, including myself, can't wait for the season to get here so that MGoBoard becomes more informational rather than conversational. But since news can't be produced, and since I'm bored, and since I can't help but navigate to this site even during dead periods, and since I don't have interest in the Tour de France, I am hoping to live vicariously through each and every one of you.
The topic du jour is your encounters/run-ins with celebrities (or pseudo celebrities). Ground rules are as follows:
1) Seeing the celebrity or walking past them does not count - you must have spoken with said celebrity and received a response, even if it was only a one word response like "yes".
2) Meeting the celebrity at a planned event (book signing, back stage at a concert after their show, on the field after a game) does not count. Said celebrity must be out of their natural element.
3) Celebrity cannot be a college athlete.
With that said, my list is very weak and filled with D-listers (thus why I am hoping your stories can inspire me):
- Sinbad (the comedian): Ran into him fairly recently while he was purchasing sour apple Mentos in a Caesar's Palace gift shop. I told him that I loved Neccessary Roughness and asked if he would let my girlfriend take a picture of the two of us. He obliged but said make it quick, as he was trying to get to the sportsbook to place a bet and the clock was ticking. He's a big man.
- Young MC: He lives in Scottsdale, AZ and was a guest at a Phoenix area law firm's Christmas party. The Christmas Party was held at a very cool old dive bar that the law firm saved from being condemened years ago and has held their Christmas party at ever since. Well, karaoke was on the menu that night and, to the delight of all in attendance, Young MC karaoked (or sang, is it really karaoke if you sing your own song) Bust a Move. He was very approachable and I went and talked to him for a bit about random stuff, mostly Phoenix sports since he was sporting a Larry Fitzgerald Cardinals jersey. Very nice guy, has definitely eaten well since his early 90's success.
- EDIT: How could I forget meeting Bob Eucker at a charity golf event. He was playing in the foursome in front of our group and, since the course was jammed up, we would catch the group on every tee box. He was a riot, always making everyone laugh. Of course, after a few beers, I did watch one of his tee shots slice wickedly and (in hindsight, embarassingly) shouting, "Juuuuuust a bit outside."