1. For the most part, Denard's passing (ducks and horrors aside). He was more accurate than not, and given how NW was selling out to stop his running, it was essential that he get something going in the air. For the most part, he did...especially in the second half.
2. Devin Gardner. He wasn't in all that much, but I thought he was impressive when he was. It's good to know we have him to fall back on.
3. Second half adjustments on defense. How good is Mattison at identifying what's wrong early on and correcting it? I think he's got to be one of the best; it almost reminds me of what Chip Kelly does when Oregon struggles early on offense. Maybe that's getting ahead of things, but 28-0 in the second half against a potent offense like Northwestern's is mighty impressive.
4. Second half adjustments on offense. Okay, here it's not so much a schematic thing as an execution thing. We were sloppy in the first half, and coldly efficient in the second. Sure some things didn't work, but we always had something else to fall back on when they didn't.
5. The D-line and Demens. Interior running was a non-factor, and Persa had a nightmare of a day when he wasn't getting rid of the ball within 3 seconds.
6. The way our team actively creates turnovers. At this point, it's clear that our guys are coached to do this, and they do it with regularity.
7. Roy Roundtree. He made some excellent catches, and showed that he's still the man.
7b. Junior Hemingway. Some huge catches.
1. The first half. We were lucky to only be down 10 pts, and looked sloppy, confused and unprepared for a road game.
2. Interior running. Sure, we got some plays in, and that Denard scramble on the broken play was sick, but by the 3rd quarter we couldn't get anything going through the middle...and this against an undersized, non-elite front 7.
3. Defending perimeter running and passing. This was a serious problem, especially early on. Guess we adjusted to it well, though, as it was less of a concern later on. But it was worrying, and option teams like Nebraska could make us pay if we don't improve on this.
1. Denard's 3 interceptions. These were really terrible, and a continuing problem for him. We're lucky that they didn't hurt more than they did, but unless he can fix this problem, they'll cost us a game eventually.
1. We're 6-0 for the first time since 2006.