Today is the day that teams are allowed to offer contracts to Unrestricted and Restricted Free Agents.
I'm a huge Detroit Red Wings fan and this is my list of players I think Detroit is in on:
Current Red Wings:
1. Brunner - they need to work out a deal and get him locked up for another 2-4 years. I'm hoping its around a $2.5 M cap hit.
2. Dan Cleary - I wish they would cut ties with him, but I don't see Holland letting him go. I just pray Cleary doesn't make more than $3 M per season.
3. Filpulla - I think he's long gone, but if he gets a rude awakening with offers from other teams then I'd love to see him back in the Winged Wheel for $4 M over 2 or 3 years.
1. Stephen Weiss - he's a very good centerman that has produced a ton for Florida during his career. He would be great as a 2nd line center and would allow Detroit to put Datsyuk and Zetterberg together on the top line.
2. Mikhail Grabovski - he can play center and wing. He's also a great skater that has a lot of talent. He's also a good friend of Datsyuk and played on his line during the lockout in the KHL. I think he'd be a great fit in Detroit and is immaturity would be squashed if he had Datsyuk as his Russian mentor.
3. Mike Ribeiro - talented playmaker that is getting towards the outskirts of his prime. He's not great defensively and he's had some character issues in the past, but I wouldn't mind Detroit taking a flyer on him for a year or 2.
4. Daniel Alfreddson - there is no way he leaves Ottawa is there? He's out of his prime and very close to retirement, but he still has something left in the tank. He would be a good 2nd line player that could help Detroit out on the PP with that right handed shot.