Its really the conflagration of misinformation out there. Everyone is running like "Who the hell do we believe here".
My personal belief after seeing everything thats been released so far is the following:
- This person who made the fake account contacted T'eo and set the hooks
- T'eo being a Mormon and certainly not a professional gigolo, fell for the hook set by this person who would have intimate knowledge of Mormon and Samoan beliefs.
- T'eo ate it all up. And had stated he had "met" this person. Of course wanting to make this more real than it was he figured it was a matter of time before he actually got to see her. When he "met" this person it was online only. he even told his Dad that he met her. Of course its easy to make up a story as to why she didn't show up.
- However, T'eo spoke to this person on the phone, quite a bit, more than 2 other people spoke to this person as well.
- A girl from ND who had befriended Lennay on twitter and had spoke to her for a long time until her "death" started talking to Lennay's sister. At which time they set up a meeting at the USC game in LA this last fall.
- When this girl setup the meeting place she was greeted with this Ronaiah guy and a little girl. Both said that Lennay's sister couldn't make it and that they should go in her place. Photos were taken, he got nervous and asked the photos not be posted online.
And then it gets weird.
- T'eo gets the call on Dec. 6th that is who he thought was his gf explained she was not. It was a hoax.
- T'eo wants to speak to his family about it and heads home for Christmas break
- The family decides to tell the university
- the university investigates with a 3rd party investigator, its clear now that its a hoax but they have evidence of the people who might be responsible chatting online. (I think they did some basic twitter sniffing and its actually someone that knows this Ronaiah guy.)
- The investigation is done the university is satisfied that there was no wrong doing on T'eos part and leaves it up to the family to spill the beans, as they have said they were going to do.
- Deadspin breaks.
- ND Presser, I seriously doubt Swarbrick would do and say what he did if he felt that a kid that is no longer at the school and not a football player for the school did something wrong.
- T'eos were going to speak today, the interview got canned. Tom Condon is T'eos agent, yes the same guy that told Brady Quinn to hold out. He has squashed atleast 2 attempts to let T'eo speak.
- Lance Amstrong is rejoicing this week,
Here is where my tin foil hat comes in, brace yourself.
- In June of 2012 Robert Woods (Yes the WR for USC) posts this:
Robert Woods @HeismanWoods @iworship hahaha sick, what did you guys do today
- This was just after Lennay was in a car accident.
- the @iworship account had 2 people it followed. Lennay and T'eo.
- Ronaiah was a USC student who was somehow involved with the football team. Several of people he knew were upset when Te'o picked ND over USC. His dad played at USC the family is the Tuiasasopo clan. Many football players in their lineage
- TMZ has a phone interview and the pictures this girl took at the USC game, and also pictures supposedly of Lennay's sister at her grave site.
My big issue, obviously as is everyones, is why Te'o covered it up for so long. Certainly plausible that the biggest name on one of America's popular brands was embarrassed. As would any of us be. I have nothing to contend the facts as they appear, until Te'o speaks. ND did what it had to, it defended its brand. If it felt that something was rotten why would they defend a player/student who was no longer a player or a student, you would think they would distance themselves.
I really can't stand how some of these media outlets are all about BURN THIS MOTHER DOWN mentality when no one has more than 10% of the facts. Do I believe Te'o had something to do with it? Well I will never say never about anything. I do believe he was not complicit in the hoax, outside of finding out it was a hoax in early December. And for those who argue he was in on it to garner Heisman love, ND was 2-0, just barely beat Purdue, was barely in the Top25 and he wasn't anywhere near Heisman radar.
In the end I can't say I would be surprised at any outcome here. As a football fan it seems like it was already 20 years ago that ND was 12-1, this includes the Kelly to the NFL bullshit. In the end I feel like Te'o got duped, was embarrassed about the whole thing and here we are. If USC had anything to do with this, or intimate knowledge of it I can see Kiffin being ended and possibly the cancellation of the USC series. I believe this as much as you guys believe that Te'o had any involvement in the fake gf story over and above a kid who got played.
Te'os Uncle Speaks: http://1280thezone.com/index.php/audio/listen/alema_teo
Interesting tidbits in regards to this Ronaiah kid.