So I have had some time to reflect on this ugly game, and to let my instant (over) reactions pass. Some thoughts for the MGoCommuity to comment on:
1. Great effort by the D. Better tackling, better fundamentals. But, let's not get too excited. Purdue's QBs couldn't hit the side of a barn. There was virtually no passing attack. Given that we have no pass D, this played to our advantage and masked our biggest problem. My hat is still off tothe D (hell, I don't even wear a hat), but let's keep expectations reasonable. The D played well against a pathetic offense.
2. Demens is really good. A marked improvement in the run D.
3. Ditto Avery. Less to go on here, but I just like his aggressiveness. Almost had a few picks.
4. The offense - obviously, a bad outing. They are obviously a lot better than the results showed. To me, this is just one bad game, and nothing to get worked up over. Young QBs will vary widely from game to game. This one was in the rain (with some wind) which didn't help.
5. Denard is still a raw talent, but I think that it is becomming obvious that he has a long way to go before being annointed as the next Pat White only better. He is fast. His speed is always a threat. He also has a great arm. But, he really lacks touch, and makes a ton of bad decisions. Also, for a fast guy, he lacks shiftiness. Doesn't mean that he can't be great, but he has a ways to go.
6. Tate - I think that RR needs to work him in more, but the way he played today didn't exactly go far in making a case for this. Terrible outing, but his first really bad day all year, so, again, moving on.
7. Kicking - holy hell, we need to find a FG kicker. THis is the worst thing I have ever seen.
8. Special teams - the return game is sub-par. I don't think that Gallon is ther answer, but I don't really know who is. Also, could someone block for him? Just a bit, maybe?
9. Coaching. 7 wins. WE may end up with 8 (or 9?). But even at 7, we are improving. I think that there is virtually no chance that RR gets canned. This is a good thing. 3 wins in 2008, 5 wins in 2009. At least 7 wins in 2010. The trajectory is up. Coach stays. As for GERG - who knows. He really is dealing with more injury / youth than any DC I have ever seen.
Just my thoughts. Agree / disagree? Comments?