Not much going on right now on the blog, just thought I'd post it here. His press conference shortened to the best moments.
edit: shit. didn't even realize the video didn't post correctly the first time
just failed at the internet momentarily. it's all good now
We're probably going to have to refer to him as Hoke, because the name "Brady" has basically been claimed already in our program.
From now on around here it's B Hoke or BHoke.
Awesome work! You had some parts in there that I forgot about. I dial the full video up and jump around to the highlights to the point where I might need to seek help.
The Bo anecdote where he told Hoke for 8 years they needed to be tougher on the defensive line is great too. Also hard to top when he sort of loses it during the opening remarks talking about the 1000 kids he and his family have touched.
I wanted our program back and Hoke is made to order for that goal. We just have one small matter to be determined: exacting payback on the field. That's where the rubber meets the road on this hire.
Really glad you did this video. Thanks.
*** I like Brady Hoke and I hope he succeeds at UMich. I don't want that to be lost in my message here. ***
Nate, would you like a tissue or two? When you're finished, maybe you could tell me about what "program" you want back. Is it:
* Becoming the first ranked team to lose to a I-AA school, at home? Hint: RichRod was not coaching at that point.
* Going 1-5 against Tressel? Hint: RichRod was not coaching at that point. I'd like some details about "exacting payback." When will that occur?
* An endless civil war among the "Michigan Men" (exemplified, most recently, by the Michael Taylor tantrum about "Cornflakes")?
* A "nationwide search" that brings a coach with a 47-50 record to a place with this much TRADITION?
* Losing the first road game five years in a row? (ND x 3, UCLA, Oregon, if my memory serves me correctly ...)
* Giving up 54 points to Northwestern?
* Telegraphing your plays (most famously, with the new wide receivers inserted for runs) so the other team can better prepare?
* 1997? Cool -- I'll take it.
* Winning at least seven games for more than one year? Ditto.
- - -
Look, I'm OK with RichRod being jettisoned at this point. Really, I am. But, your post is just too much. Too much! You'd think we just resurrected Amos Alonzo Stagg.
- - -
Also, it's funny that anyone from Michigan would talk about toughness on the defensive line. With a few exceptions ('97, anyone?) that was the weak spot in Michigan's program for a long time. Very few players from that position were NFL-level. It was Lloyd, interestingly, that finally brought in some top-notch guys.
I was OK with Brandon being in there, but disappointed we didn't get the "6 cities in 5 days" quote.