So, I wasn't going to link to Michigan Monday this week, but can't resist. (This is the Michigan column put up every Monday at the Buckeye blog by the name of theozone.net) LINK: http://theozone.net/football/2012/MichiganMonday/MM_12_09_10.html
I swear, Tony Gerdeman is channeling Brian or something. Listen to these quotes:
I was very opposed to Dave Brandon finalizing the Alabama deal, and I'm almost as opposed to him signing the Air Force game as well. This schedule wasn't brave, it was arrogant and ignorant, and the Wolverines were fortunate to come out of it with just one loss.
This game, against an option offense like Air Force, does nothing for the team. Had they lost, Brandon would have been 100% responsible for this team being 0-2 to start the season.
He followed up an impossible game against Alabama with an impossibly tricky game against the triple-option. That's a Football 101 no-no.
Brady Hoke should have a clause that extends his contract one year for every time Brandon screws him over on the schedule like he did with the first two games of this season.
I don't think Gerdeman has anything GOOD to say about Brandon, nor does he have anything BAD to say about Hoke. As usual, there's a fair amount of good content and analysis. Here are a few bullets.
- Denard in this game shows that Borges didn't want him to run against Bama unless absolutely necessary. For the rest of the year, Denard returns to being the most exciting player on the field.
- Our running game is terrible, because our OL is terrible. This is painfully obvious to everyone.
- Funchess already looks like an all-conference receiver, and Denard is doing a good job of getting the ball to the two Devin's.
- The future looks very bright for the LB corps in the coming years, as we see both Bolden and Ross do a great job.
- Ryan already is an all-Big 10 LB, responsible for singlehandedly stopping Air Force on 3 of the last 4 plays.
- Gerdeman really liked BWC. (This is analysis I haven't much heard yet.) EDIT: If true, this gives me much more hope for the remainder of the season, because if BWC can anchor the DL, we MIGHT be able to do something on defense.
- Norfleet is a stud, and will return a kickoff for a TD, soon.
- We still don't know what kind of defensive line Michigan has, and won't know until ND.
As always, go and read the article if you are starved for Michigan info.