So obviously tonight our men's basketball team will be playing for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, but I just want you all to kind of take a moment to take a step back and just look at all that we have accomplished.
- We were ranked #1 in the AP polls at one point in the season
- Ranked in the top 5 for nearly the whole season
- We happen to be the home of the best college basketball player in the country in 2013 according to the majority of the votes
Now this is just an extremely small sample size of some huge accomplishments of the regular season, but right now I'm here to mostly talk about the tournament. Just think about this:
- We made it to the National Chamionship by overcoming some tough circumstances
- We not only beat a tough VCU team, but we beat Kansas, Florida, and Syracuse, three of the most successful programs in college basketball, with three of the most successful coaches in college basketball, and we looked great doing it!
What I am getting at here is that we beat three of the best programs in college basketball, and hopefully we will pick up a fourth tonight in Louisville, and we have looked great in doing it. What I mean by we looked great doing it is that we didn't get lucky (okay, Kansas maybe) and play the role of a cinderella or even a big underdog. We are now at the level of the best programs that there are in college basketball. Could I see last year's team beating Kansas or Syracuse or Florida? Yes, but not all three, back to back to back, and the one game we did win it would be a pretty huge upset and it would take a lot of things going our way to win. But this year, we were clearly the better team or at least an equivalent in terms of talent. Just think about that: Kansas, Florida, and Syracuse, WE BEAT ALL THREE. That is just such a huge feat. Great job guys! You make all of us fans proud. Regardless of what happens tonight, they have shown that they can compete with the best and just may be the best.
In conclustion, of course we have to thank the players for being totally awesome in talent and choosing Michigan and being good kids and teammates, but we first have to thank Coach Beilein for getting these kids to come to Michigan. Thanks Coach for bringing us to the highest level possible and keep it up for years to come!