Above all else, what this Tournament run did for us was to finally knock down the last remaining "Barriers to Enrty" that sood in the way of us returning to ongoing elite status.
All the issues the program had that may have kept the top recruits from considering us are completely gone:
- No more crappy facilities that clearly implied basketball was an afterthought at Michigan.
- No more being boxed into a Princeton-esque system designed to hide a lack of talent.
- No more walk-on team mates in key positions,
- No more passion-less dead environments and indifferent fans in Crisler.
- No more constricted pipelines to the NBA.
- No more shadow of the Fab Five and scandals from another era.
- No more Final Four and Big Ten draughts.
These things were already in progress, but the Tournament run showed it off for the world to see.
I wasn't just impressed with how we made our Tournament run, but also with how downright cool we looked doing it.
Dare I say it . . . Fab Five cool.
After this Tournament run, any top recruit in the country is going to give a strong look when Michigan calls.