There's a few quirks that need to be worked out, but overall the new version of the Android app is complete, and should propagate to your phones over the next few hours. Check it out, let me know what you think, and I'll get started on 3.0.1 right away!
META: MGoBlog 3.0 is in the Play Store
it may just be Monday morning, but I can't get it.
it must have just been Monday morning. Looks good so far
Do a search for the app. I didn't see an update under "my app" page but after searching it came up.
Would love to use swipe feature to move from main page to Diaries to board. I'd also like to see the whole thread open automatically.
I like the pull down swipe to refresh threads, but why not to refresh posts within a thread.
Having to put something, even a period, in title is annoying too.
Pull to refresh on the main page makes sense because new items will always come in at the top. For comments, new items could be anywhere in the thread, so pulling to refresh doesn't make sense IMHO.
If enough people agree with you I can implement it.
thanks for update!
Looks fantastic, and it works great for reading. I ran into the following issues though.
- App dies when I try to submit a comment.
- I get a little popup saying "Logged In" every time I open up the comment box
- The login screen has some quirks. If I'm logged in, I would think it would show my username, but it just shows an empty username and password field and the button says "Logout" instead of "Login." If I just tap logout and then enter my credentials, the Login button doesn't work.
I also second the idea that it shouldn't require a subject line for comments. Would love it to just leave it empty, add "From Android," or autopopulate with the first little bit of the comment like it does on the web.
Oh, I'm on a Galaxy Nexus running a rooted 4.1.1.
Thanks for all the work, I love where the app is going!
That's what I get for rushing the login screen at two in the morning. I'll work on those tonight and post an update. Thanks!
The app crashed for me too when I tried to post a comment.
Nexus 4 w/ 4.2.2 stock unrooted
BlockM's bullets don't show up for me. The only reason I know they're there is because I saw his post first on my desktop browser. I'm using a non-rooted Galaxy Nexus on 4.1.1.
Oh the ANDROID app. Because I just met w Brian on Friday night and we're still pretty far away from actual MGoBlog 3.0.
My app was updated, but I can only see the items on the main page? How do I see the diaries or the board?
Touch the MGo logo in the upper left to see the menu. Then select the Diaries, Board, etc.
Awesome, thanks! I knew you guys would come through.
Great job. Working well so far. Some of the suggestions above would be nice to have.
till the above get addressed. The older version I currently have works great, so definitely not bitching about free shit. Thanks and carry on.
This was an intentional design decision for the comments to preserve battery life. I might play with embedding images directly in comments in a later update.
If it's not too much trouble you could add a user-modifiable setting that would allow showing or not showing pictures.
So far the pictures and required title are the only issues I see. I know it was intentional but I would be willling to sacrafice a bit of battery to see the pics.
Thanks for the feedback
if possible, making a setting to were users could choose if they want pictures displayed would be awesome.
I do want to say good job though, the app is awesome, and I think I speak for all us droid users when I say thanks for all your work on it
I stole this from.. someone and can't get the app to download to it...
I was having trouble logging in on the new app, and then realized the phone was autocorrecting my username to "Chopstick". Oops!
Some comments and suggestions:
1) LOVE the new format for comments. It's smaller, cleaner-looking, and easier to read. That was my chief beef with the old app. Also, the fact that the comments display oldest-to-newest as they should. Thank you!
2) Could we possibly eliminate the tap to display comments functionality on MGoBoard? On the board, you always want to see the comments anyway (that's the point of the board), so it doesn't make sense to have to click to see them. It makes good sense on the main page, and perhaps the diaries, but the board is different, IMO
3) I understand that the images were eliminated to save on battery and data usage, which in itself isn't a bad choice (although I'd still prefer to see images; could we make a setting for thatt?), but could we at least make the links show up as clickable hyperlinks? Right now, they're just showing up as normal text for me, so if I want to see the image, I'd have to copy and paste the link and throw it in my browser. Of course, I'm a very new Android user, maybe it's my fault or a setting I need to change on the phone.
4) Thank you so very much!
The non clickable links in comments snuck its way in somehow this morning. I already fixed it for the next update.
Displaying the thread all at once just for MGoBoard might take some time, but that is one of the most important features on the road map. Thanks for your input!
Thanks! Just a couple more things I'm noticing:
1) I really liked the swipe-to-switch to MGoBoard and Diaries on the old App. Is there an option to use that view on this app? It's a lot faster and smother IMO
2) Bug: when you go "back" from an MGoBoard thread, it takes you to the front page, not the MGoBoard section. Same thing with Diaries and MGoLicious
3) Bug: crashed when I tried to comment as well (running Ice Cream Sandwich on a Stratosphere II)
4) I second the motion to use pull-down-to-refresh on individual threads as well.
I really like it, but
1. Charts don't display properly. Hopefully it's an easy fix.
2. I like how sharp it looks but the pages could use a little more maize and blue.
Both easy fixes. Thanks!
I kniw this is a comment and criticism thread, but juat wanted to say thanks for the work on this FREE app. I do 99% of my blog reading from this app so your work and willingness to make it as close to the site as possible is extremely appreciated by me!
It really means a lot to hear that people like using my app.
Note on the "free" part: once all the bugs are squashed I'm going to add ads and possibly a donate feature to disable ads. Just a heads up!
Will be more than wilimg to donate to this once you get it up and running smooth. I dont know if its cause I have a newer phone, but I havent noriced any bugs. Its all preference based stuff on my end, like I said about the pics. I went back and looked at the Iowa UFR and it looked ok to me.
I don't know how the app system works, but I'd prefer to pay for the app instead of having ads when you get to that point.
Just downloaded on my Galaxy Nexus - looks great so far! I really like the new look/feel a lot. I'd even disagree with the guy above who said he wants to see more maize/blue. I think the current color scheme is clean, fresh, and is still pretty much UM colors.
I'd echo others who said they'd prefer not to have to enter a title for commenting.
Thanks for your hard work on this!
and I don't see the reply function. I downloaded the upgrade after your initial release last week. Do I need to do something else?
Log in is under the MGOBLOG icon under accounts. The reply button is the arrow in a comment or the button in the lower right corner.
All I have is MgoBlog, Diaries, MGoBoard, and mgo.licio.us.
Nexus S 4G
My menu has an information section under mgo.licio.us that has accounts and about. I click accounts amd that's where my log in info was.
I only have those 4 options in my menu.
Did you install the read only version from last week?
I made the upgrade when you inititally released 3.0
EDIT: I uninstalled, reinstalled and now have the log-in option.
Thanks for the help.
I wish there was a way to post a pic or screen shot from the app. I'd show you what it looked like. Sean do you think thats possible?
Try holding the power button and volume down at the same time. That usually works for me.
I can take one but, is there a way to post it with the app? Or is that something we could get the ability to do, post pics from our phones with the app.
I just went back and looked at an old UFR to see how it looked on the new app and the play-by-play breakdown is a mess. There's obviously plenty of time to work on that until it becomes relevant, but I just thought I'd let you know.
The CSS isn't being applied. It's already been fixed and will be pushed out in the next update.
Thanks for putting the time in
I have it and it's pretty good. Definitely recommend!
Where are the ads? I want ads
I'm going to smooth out the bugs that are popping up and get the 3.0 release stable, and then throw in the ads.
I like the new updates, thanks!
for all your hard work on it. I like that those saved links dont clutter the board anymore.
I like that this app has the oldest posts first, unlike the older versions. Only real downside for now is that I don't see any new post markers, but I'm assuming you can add that in the future.
a new comment flag would be helpful so i second that.
also a way to see a comment's score would be great, even if we cant vote on them here.
whoops double post my first ever.
great work on the app update. i absolutely love the ways you designed it to lower data usage with the comments not autoloading but a click away, as well as pics. & thanks for getting comments in the proper order, thats much easier to read now.
overall looks & feels cleaner & more accessible. i almost never commented using old version, but i can see myself using this a lot more now.
Thanks! Such glowing words would lend themselves well to a review on the Play Store
maybe a little longer
just kidding. I'm pushing out 3.0.1 right now
I thought I fixed it, and I was wrong haha. 3.0.2 will fix it and will be out tonight
looks good. I didn't have any of the issues stated before, but I like the new design
official test posting comments thread
Any chance you have the time/skills to convert this apk over to a BAR file so we can have an mgoblog app for balckberry playbook?
Also, does the app happen to have a way to get ahold of members? A couple people have offered to send me baby MGoHandMeDowns, but I don't know how to get ahold of them, and am not keen on posting my address out there...