While we anxiously await the announcement of the new [Greg Mattison] defensive [Greg Mattison] coordinator [Greg Mattison] and maintain an open tab with TomVH's Twitter feed (you're not doing that? Sure, you're not.) to find out about the latest (de)commitments, take the opportunity to flip through the Winter 2011 edition of M Magazine, the Michigan Athletic Department's official souvenir program.
This edition contains several nice features:
- Wolverines to Watch (Veronica Hicks, Basketball; Adrienne Bicek, Swimming; A.J. Treais, Hockey; Chris Cameron, Gymnastics; Jillian Smith, Track and Field; Dan Madwed, Swimming)
- The Big Chill at the Big House
- Water Polo’s Senior Plan: Winning it All, Together
- Why? (Trish Wilson, Gymnastics)
- The Peace Corps: It All Started Here
- Carved in Stone
- The Two Sides of Denard Robinson
- Ask the Athlete
What I learned:
- Michigan has some truly amazing student athletes in many more sports than just football, men's basketball and hockey (in truth, I already knew that).
- Denard Robinson is awesome (see above).
- Evan Smotrycz has never had a job (other than playing basketball). Srsly.
- The stone carver who fashioned the replacement "M" medallions for Yost Ice Arena is very skillful. Check out the video embedded in the online magazine that details the process. Very cool, indeed.
- Michigan will host the 2011 NCAA Women's Water Polo Championships at Canham Natatorium in May. Here's hoping it creates a huge home pool advantage for the team.
- Trish Wilson is a warrior of the first order and a true Wolverine.