So, just finished the game (I watch on DVR delay because of young kids). My thoughts on what this game showed:
1. Blake Countess is for real. Sure, he got beaten a few times, but he reminds me so much of Donovan Warren. Physical, great instincts. This kid is going to be a lock-down stud CB in a year or two.
2. The "shoud we start DEvin, and not Denard" should be be put to rest (ok, it never should have started). DEnard missed a few passes. He still overthrows some and has a few batted down. On the last drive, however, he looked like a legit QB. He marched us down the field with his arm, making smart solid throws. Even his misses were in places where the CB couldn't have a shot to intercept. I know, his stats suck compared to last year, but he is really starting to look like a pro style QB. Give him another offseason, and I think he is going to be awesome next year. Devin, while talented, is not even close. When he came in, our offense looked terrible. Not a criticism - he has little experience running the offense- but as of now (and likely next year), Denard is miles ahead.
3. Fitz - he really is good. V. Smith is a lovable little guy, but should be used primarily as the 3rd down back. He was stopped on first or second down for little or no gain too many times in the first half.
4. Denard, why you no run? There were several plays where DEnard had tunning lanes, and just hung in the pocket. Now, his pocket presence and overall throwing was great today, in my opinion, but still, when you are the fastest player in cfb and there is nobody for 6-7 yards, tuck and run.
5. The receivers really didnt help Denard out today. WAy too many drops. Sure, some may have not been on perfct throws, but my rule of thumb is that if the ball hits your hands, you should pull it in. Hemmingway, Roundtree and Dilio all dropped passes.
6. The refs - I don';t want to get hung up on this, but this game was terribly called there were at least 2 missed pass interference calls on the last drive, most critically on the last play. Also, sorry, Hemmingway's knee came down in bounds, and we should have had that TD. Whatever, it happens and it sucks, but it still pisses me off. Hoke should have challenged that last play.
7. the Fritz package. I know that many are down on it, but I do think that Hoke Borges and Co. are working on it to break out new stuff against OSU. IF so, I am ok with it. Otherwise, I don't love it. Just not getting much out of it.
OVerall, I like where we are heading. WE lost a close game to a solid team. We will get at least 1 more win, and maybe 2. Good season, with solid improvement, given the cc, new system, etc.