My boss and I were talking today, and he brought up a concern about our next two biggest home games with MSU and Indiana. They both occur during spring break for the students at Michigan. He was concerned that Crisler would lose some home-court advantage if too many students were absent. Out of curiosity, I checked the record for Michigan under Beilien when students are away (both winter and spring breaks) and here's what I found. Thanks to LSAClassof2000 for average attendance numbers for 2010, 2011, and 2012 as well as attendance at the spring break home games.
Beilien's Home Record During Spring Break:
|2011||Michigan State/NR||W 70-63||13,751||10.951|
Beilien's Home Record During Winter Break:
|2012||Eastern Michigan/NR||W 93-54||12,693||11,326|
|2012||Central Michigan/NR||W 88-73||12,693||11,326|
|2011||Penn State/NR||W 71-53||12,751||10,951|
|2010||Penn State||W 76-69||11,771||11,603|
|2009||Ohio State/#15||W 73-64||13,751||10,568|
|2008||Florida Gulf Coast/NR||W 76-59||8,279||10,034|
|2008||North Carolina Central/NR||W 77-57||10,390||10,034|
- 4-2 at home during spring break, 13-4 at home during winter break
- 4-1 during spring break, 13-2 during winter break with the 2007-08 season removed (because OMG we were bad, not comprable to Beilien's other years)
- 17-4 (0.764 win pct) over break (07-08 removed)
- 2-1 against ranked opponents (07-08 removed)
- We don't generally play talented teams over breaks
- Big Ten schedulers were unforgiving to Michigan (in hindsight, of course)
- 18 out of 23 games, Crisler has had an attendance greater than the season average during a student break
- Crisler Center can definitely fill up when the students are away
Indiana concerns are somewhat mitigated by the fact that the tickets were included in the student season ticket pack (not the case with the MSU game, though students could still buy them for $10 a pop) and March 10th is the last day of spring break, so students should be back and presumably won't have as much homework or studying for exams. Not to mention it is a possible #1 vs #2 scenario, should Michigan win the preceding games.
Michigan State, however, visits us on Sunday the 3rd. I'm curious as to peoples' opinions about the atmosphere, etc. for this game. Can we compete with what our boys faced at the Breslin?