The one element of the Big10 expansion I don't understand is how academics play into this. I've read that they're a consideration but I can't tell whether it's because of reputation or something more tangible. Can anyone clear up these questions?
1. Is the conference association an academic association too?
2. If 'yes' then how does admitting a crappy school like Nebraska help/hurt the Big10 member institutions?
3. Does any of this have an effect on research dollars coming in to the individual universities or the conference?
4. If 'yes' then what is the scale of the research dollars we're talking about? The same as the Big10 network TV deal? 2x? 5x?
5. Are research dollars shared like bowl money?
6. I've read that whether a university is AAU or CIC has an impact on how badly the Big10 wants them too join. What difference does AAU or CIC make?
Thanks in advance