I was asked a great question this morning by a co worker. Knowing that I'm a huge Michigan fan, he asked me what I'd rather have. A Lions Super Bowl win, Red Sox World Series championship, Red Wings Stanley Cup, Pistons NBA championship, or a Michigan national championship? I'd never even thought about it before, but without hesitation, I answered a Michigan national championship. Even though I'd love to see a Lions Super Bowl win, it just wouldn't compare to a Michigan championship. What are your thoughts?
Great question about sports allegiance involving Michigan
1. Michigan football national championship
2. Tigers title
3. Lions Super Bowl
4. Michigan hoops title
5. Pistons title
6. Red Wings title
How in the hell did the Red Sox get in there?
My Grandpa came here from England, and lived in Boston for most of his life. I spent my summers in Boston going to the games with him. Other than my time at Michigan, it was the best part of my life.
It's just one of those flashbacks to "which one of these things is not like the other" moments. My next question would have been "why the baseball team, and not the football, or basketball, etc.?", but I think you answered that pretty clearly too.
Or the Tigers organization was traded to the Red Sox in the off season
1. Michigan National Championship
2. EMU winning the MAC
3. The Tigers winning the World Series
4. The Lions winning the Super Bowl
but would still love the UM football NC the most.
1. Michigan football national championship
2. Red Wings Stanley Cup
3. Tigers World Series
4. Michigan Hoops title
5. Lions Super Bowl
6. Pistons Title
I'm a huge Red Wings fan though so that's why that went high on my list
Mine would, be the same... if the Red Wings didn't win so many in the last fifteen years. Another Cup wouldn't be as special as a Lions Super Bowl which hasn't happened in my life.
Hasn't happened in anyone's* life.
Considering I'm not a fan of the Lions, Pistons, Red Wings, or Red Sox fan, the answer is easy for me.
I guess it really depends on whether you (1) went to Michigan and (2) whether your greater interest is in college or professional sports. Personally, I'm more of a college fan (and a Michigan alum), so that makes the answer all the easier.
1. Michigan football title
2. Michigan hoops title
3. Michigan hockey title
4. Michigan baseball title
5. Brady with another SB
6. Czech Republic Euro title
7. Czech Republic World Cup
Beyond the like Brady makes Michigan look better love, I hadn't thought international.
So somewhere on my list below (maybe around the "any other Michigan team" part of it) I'd add "the US in any major Olympic or International competition, whether it be dominated something, like swimming, or pulling the big upset, like hockey or soccer."
Even nailed it with the Czechs. Hat Tip to you.
1. Michigan win a title in football
2. Michigan win a title in basketball
3. Michigan win a title in hockey
4. Michigan win a title in baseball or other sport (i.e. women's basketball, wresting, gymnastics, softball, etc)
5. All-Blacks or Ireland win rugby
6. Holland wins WC
7. Pro-team wins title (Eagles, Pistons, Red Wings, Mets)
1: Michigan Football
4: Red Wings/Michigan Hockey
5: Michigan Hoops
I would go for the Michigan NC first, followed by the Lions. I love the Red Wings but at least they have won in modern history. I don't care about the NBA so it would rank dead last...check that, it wouldn't even be on my list.
1. Michigan Football title
2. Michigan basketball title
3. Tom Brady win another Super Bowl
4. Tom Brady win another Super Bowl after that
5. Charles Woodson win another Super Bowl
6. Pistons win a championship
7. Probably most any other Michigan team win a title
8. Lions win a Super Bowl (only championship I haven't seen in town)
9. Tigers win the Series (they're overdue)
10. Red Wings (wouldn't mind, but it's not like we've been deprived)
The Wings have won multiple titles since I've been alive, and I can't remember the 84 World Series. Detroit and the state of Michigan are STARVING for the Lions to win the Super Bowl (finall) and the Tigers to win the WS again!
rank them as follows:
Michigan Football Nat Champ
Tigers World Series/ Why do you like the Red Sox OP?
Red Wings Stanley Cup
Pistons putting together something that resembles a team
Michigan football national championship #1
All the others would be great but for me there is a HUGE gap between any of them and M - football.
1. Jets Super Bowl
2. Rangers Stanley Cup
3. Michigan Football Championship
4. Michigan BBall Championship
5. OSU Bowl Ban
Did you really put a Michigan football championship 3rd on your list on a mostly Michigan football blog? If you're being sarcastic, I apologize in advance. My sarcasm meter isn't working very well today . . .
Nope, just being honest. I'm a recent alum, but my home ties are a little stronger. They're all very close though.
When you're an alum of a School, it changes a lot of things. I don't want to sound elitist, but it's different when you attended a school. The University of Michigan is the love of my life (My wife is aware, and accepts this, suring football season that is). The greatest thing, other than being a good man I can teach my son, is about Bo Schembechler, the team, and this is Michigan.
Im old enough to have enjoyed...
Michigan National Championship Football and Basketball
RedWings Stanley Cup(s)
Tiger World Series
The only team I'm waiting on is the Lions....
#2 Michigan wins NC in hockey
#3 Michigan wins NC in men's basketball
#4 Michigan wins NC in baseball
#5 Michigan wins NC in softball
#6 Michigan wins NC in women's basketball
#7 Michigan wins NC in men's track
#8 Michigan wins NC in lacrosse
#9 Michigan wins NC in field hockey
#10 Michigan wins NC in baseball
#11+ Michigan wins NC in all other sports
#12-15 Lions, Tigers, Piston, Red wings
Michigan BIg Ten Championship.
Michigan National Championship.
1. Michigan football NC
2. Michigan b-ball NC
3. Michigan hockey NC
4. Michigan anything else NC
Not too picky after those top four.
1. Lions Super Bowl Victory - It has never happened and the city would go crazy
2. Michigan National Championship
3, Tigers World Series win
4. Western Michigan Basketball making the tournament again. It was an amazing enironment at Reed Field House during the 97'-98' season. Beathing Clemson in the first round was just icing on the cake.
5. Western Michigan Football winning the MAC
1. Michigan football national championship
2. Michigan basketball national championship
3. Lions win the Super Bowl (They haven't won a Super Bowl yet)
4. Tigers World Series win
5. USA mens team to win a World Cup (I'm a soccer fan)
Yup, me too.
I'd put the US wins World Cup higher. That would be epic. Everyone says "Shock the World", but this would really do it.
As a Michigan alum, anything that happens to a Michigan athletic team is a lot closer to the heart than any pro sport.
For me, it goes:
1. Michigan football
2. Michigan hockey
3. Michigan basketball
4. Michigan soccer, lacrosse, etc.
5. UNC hoops (I went to grad school there)
5. Red Wings, Pistons, Tigers, Packers are on even keel
Dead last on the list:
last + 1. Sparty winning something
last. Ohio doing anything remotely good
GO BLUE! Beat Ohio (in perpetuity)!
I've actually seen all my major professional teams win in the last ten years. I've seen my country of origin (or my parents' origin) win a world title, there really isn't much I need to see. I'd obviously like to see them win again (or continue to win), but I've seen it happen recently. Here's my top 3:
1. Michigan football - enjoyed the last one, but I wasn't directly tied to the University at the time, so it didn't mean as much.
2. Michigan hockey - spent a lot of time at Yost during my undergrad. Some of my best times were there and I'd like to see them win one more for Red. Last year was heart breaking.
3. US Hockey Olympic Gold - America.
I'd also like to see Arsenal win anything. ANYTHING.
1) Michigan football NC (but why stop here? Dominate in all varsity sports, Wolverines.)
2) Tigers winning the World Series (I was six the last time. One more would be nice.)
3) Lions Super Bowl (win or loss there, though obviously the former is better)
4) Red Wings Stanley Cup (again and repeatedly, right?)
5) Pistons go all the way (several drafts from now - being realistic here)
1. Michigan Football
2. Lions Superbowl
3. Red Wings Stanley Cup
4. Tigers World Series
5. Pistons at least being entertaining (preferably with dominating defense where the final score is 73-67 and we are seeing if the pistons can suffocate a team to less than 70 for the 30th time in a season) when nothing else is on
I always look at it in terms of what I haven't had the opportunity to see yet, born in 89 so:
1) Lions Super Bowl
2) Tigers WS
3) Michigan basketball title
4) Wolverhampton Wanderers double
5) USA World Cup
6)) Michigan College WS or any other MIchigan national title in sports other than football
Now, what for what I've already seen
7) Michigan football national title
8) Michigan hockey national title
9) Red Wings Stanley Cup
10) Pistons NBA Championship
Seattle Kingdom (since imploded); My wife and I in the far corner two rows from the top.
Michigan over Illinois (who had beaten UM twice in the regular season)
Seton Hall over Duke (hanging out, waiting to see who'd we play)
Michigan over Seton Hall in OT; Glenn Rice MVP.
It would be great to see another one!
1. Michigan football championship
2. Tie between Tigers World Series and Illinois basketball (went there for law school, am now bracing for negbangs from UM-hoops devotees.)
4. Tie between Red Wings and Pistons
6. Germany in the World Cup or Euro Championships.
7. Lions Super Bowl if only because I know it would make a lot of my friends happy. (I'm kinda meh on them myself.)
1. Michigan wins a football game
2. Any other team I root for wins a championship
Michigan losing any game ruins the entire weekend (at least) for me. I get over other teams losing within a couple of minutes.
Number one priority is a Michigan Big Ten Championship then a National Championship BECAUSE if you don't win the conference championship, you can't even get to the National Championship. Wait a minute...
#1 would be a Tigers World Series. I don't care if this is a Michigan place....if I went to sports hell and was told I could be a fan of just one team for the rest of all time, I'd pick the Tigers. I've known The Victors since I was 5 or 6.....but the Tigers go back even further than that.
Beat Ohio in everything and anything else is icing on the cake.
Detroit red wings
Michigan hockey, baseball, etc.
For me it would be:
1. Michigan Football NC
2. Red Wing SC
3. Tigers WS
4. Lions SB
5. Michigan Basketball NCAA Title
I saw a couple of comments about the Red Wings having won so they've been listed lower but for me, I live in Chicago and can't stand the Hawks fans. I want the Red Wings just to stick it in their face yet again.
Tigers: See above paragraph and replace Hawks with White Sox. Same deal.
I honestly don't even care about the Pistons. Hate to say it, but last year left an awful taste in my mouth.
1. Michigan wins Football Nat. Championship
2. Michigan wins Football Nat. Championship
3. Michigan wins Football Nat. Championship
4. Michigan wins Football Nat. Championship
5. Michigan wins Football Nat. Championsip
That would be 5 years straight of Michigan winning the Nat. Championship with Coach Hoke at the helm, Mike Hart as his RB coach (after Freddie J retires after the 2nd Championship) and Mr. Tom Brady as QB coach and his wife Gisele as recruiting coordinator.
I follow other sports; especially Michigan ones but to see the football team with multiple times and establish a dynasty would be amazing.