So, my usual post-game musings:
1. The defense is really solid. At first, I thought we were just doing well against crappy teams, but would struggle against decent competition, but I was wrong. This defense is legitimately good.
2. Hoke and Mattison are doing an awesome job with the D. Not because we are good - that was covered in point 1 - because we are improving in weak areas from week to week, and that is on the coaching.
As an aside, there is a ton of Mattison love here for the D, but I place the credit somewhat on Hoke, as well. When our offense did well last year, it was RR's offense because even though he was the HC, he spent a ton of time with the offense. Similarly, Hoke, while HC, spends a ton of time with the D, in particular the Dline, which has excelled. He deserves a ton of credit.
3. Denard. Call me crazy, but for the first quarter, he looked like a legin throwing QB - small sample size, but his throws were crisp and on target.
4. Denard. His running is really lacking. He seems to lack vision for open lanes, and has not done a good job of getting into the open field. He is running tentative. HE did have 1 decent run, but even on that one, he lacked some of his top end burst. I said this last week and I will say it again - to me, Denard looks a step slower than last year. Perhaps an injury?
5. DEvin - he came in and got a TD, so not looking to complain, but he is still far from being able to run this offense. Also, his throws lack zip - they seem to float and wobble too much. THat said, nice read on the TD throw to find the open man.
6. JT Floyd - he has turned into, dare I say, a shut down corner. I love his aggressiveness.
7. Countess- man, is he going to be special. Reminds me so much of D. Warren.
8. Fitz - he is really living up to the hype that he had been getting on this blog for he past 2 years. Great mix of power and speed.
9. Nebraska - this game is going to be so close. IF we protect the ball better, we win.
10. OSU - I will not jinx, I will not jinx, I will not jinx. Purdue?