The enormity of this game against MSU cannot be questioned. At stake:
1. Getting a win streak started vs MSU or losing a 3rd time in a row, bringing back old records books of futility dating back to the 60’s.
2. RR finally breaking into the bowl column for UM.
3. Guaranteed upward trajectory for the program with 6 wins vs 5 last year vs 3 two years ago.
4. A first win against a Big 10 arch rival for RR.
5. Huge ramifications re in-state recruiting. A loss and Sparty can legitimately start claiming football superiority, justifying the Thomases and Gholstons of the world. I.e., the death of "Little Brother."
6. The misery of a year's worth of Sparty trash talking that will ensue.
7. GRob evidencing the ability to devise a real defensive game plan other than “let’s hide our weaknesses in the secondary by giving up 600 yards a game to elite football powers like UMass and Indiana” and evidencing the ability to save his job and save our program further post season tumult.
8. A loss means the echoes of last year, and RR’s job security given his futility vs the Big 10, resurfacing. A win, and that is all but put to bed, especially with weak PSU, Illinois and Purdue games looming.
9. A win means legit 8-4 or 9-3 talk. A loss means legit 6-6 or 7-5 talk.
Just too much at stake. I may have to DVR this game and watch it after I know the outcome or I may have a coronary. Alas the frivolous things we invest our pride in…