So, one common thread this week has been the lack of calls on OL holding against Michigan. It seems that Martin and Roh, in particular, have often been held.
Several questions come up.
- How much of this is homerism? I think not a lot, but it is human nature to say "we was robbed!"
- Can Michigan coaches bring this to the attention of Big 10 Officials?
- Is there someone in their secret refing catacombs who reviews the tape and reprimands refs who are regularly messing up and missing holding calls?
- Do refs who mess up and miss this call much better when refing a UM game in the future?
- Will things get better by Big 10 play, when refs know that they can expect OL to hold Martin and Roh et al?
I'm thinking that the refs begin to know who the killer DL and LB are, and as the season goes on, more holding calls and penalty calls are caught. I'm also thinking that egregious tape of missed calls, both with ND and UMass, will only help us over the course of the season. Someone has to see what's been happening, and change things. In a sense, the best thing that could happen vs. BG is continued holding calls missed by the refs, leading to an over compensation in OUR FAVOR for the Big 10 season, when we really need the refs to be fair, and catching what is going on.
With the relative lack of strength in our defense, we need all the help we can get. Going through the UFR, there were at least 50 yards in missed holding penalties against UMass. This could have made a significant difference.