Who is going to play, who is going to redshirt? Feel free to throw spears at it and disagree... or not.
My general thoughts below, assuming no new boo boos. Put a
random incredibly scientific % next to each name for potential to play. Surprisingly I only came up with 3 "for sures" and 5 "most likelies". Although I think it will be 6 with Ferns out on ST. Depth? Yes it's nice.
- Peppers (117%) - starter at nickel, potential displacement of a veteran at corner. The #Truth
- Canteen (100%) - don't think will match the hype machine currently generated but a decent freshman campaign with 15-17 catches. This would be a solid year - keep in mind Dileo had 16 catches and Chesson 15, and if Norfleet hype is true he is going to get some playing time.
- Cole (100%) - best case, LT starter. Worst case, first OT off the bench.
Hell, most likely.
- Mone (84%) - lots of camp hype. Has a lot of competition in his way but with coach speak and precedent seems like he will see the field.
- Watson (74%) - some talk of getting 1st team reps here and there. Incredible variability at S this year. Health of Hill, Clark moved from behind Wilson to aside him, any potential play out of Thomas. All of the above unproven. Probably the "5th" S right now right now which is one injury away from 2nd string. This position seems like the one of all on defense that someone could go from 3rd string to 1st in a few weeks.
- Ferns (50%) - Approximately the 8th LB. Top candidate for "why did we spend a redshirt year on him playing special teams?"
- Ways (36%) - Scrimmage hype but against some 3rd string types from all indications. Currently behind Funchess, Darboh, Chesson and most likely Jones. Would he or Dukes be next man up?
Break in case of emergency.
- Bunting (33%) - currently 3rd TE until Butt gets back. Assuming Butt is back by game 4ish, we can survive with AJ Williams/Heitzman for 2 baby seals and ND. If OL is a major issue and 2 TE sets become norm early could shoot up probability.
- Harris (9%) - Hamstrung for 2014. Folks, I'll be here all week. Multiple WR injuries necessary to even think of it late in year as missed time in spring and fall.
- Speight (7%) - If there is an injury, would be 3rd string. A lot of very bad things would need to happen to see the field.
- Bushell-Beatty (0%) - see you in 3 years when you try to get your chance after dominant 2015/2016 OL players graduate.
- Furbush (0%) - was supposed to be bulky oversized LB with potential to be DE in 2 years, instead was a scrawny S body who needs to bulk up to play LB. Call us in 2016.
- Marshall (6%) - only due to lack of depth at DE. Currently is "6th DE". If injuries mount could still push a Wormley out from DT to DE instead of Marshall. Have heard no camp hype.
- Pallante (0%) - see you in 3 years.
- Wangler (0%) - see you in 2 years.
- Winovich (0%) - literally have not heard one word about him in past 3 months.