Hey, this is my first thread on the mgoboard, so go easy on me. So basically, I want to start a dedicated discussion of Chuck Heater, whom I think did an excellent job at Florida under Meyer and is, in all sense of the term, a "Michigan Man."
I'm going to suggest him for either HC or DC, and ask the rest of you not only whether you think he's someone we should bring on board, but whether he's better suited to the vacant HC and DC positions.
Here's my reasoning:
1. DB wants someone who "understands the Michigan way" and our rivalries. CH obviously does.
2. The shadowy alumni who allegedly never warned to RR because he wasn't "one of us" would have no excuse. Of course, this may be apocryphal, but certainly these "shadowy forces" are represented at the Freep (even if one of them coats his sentiments in snide comments about the Ann Arbor "wine and cheese crowd").
3. While he doesn't have head coaching experience, he was a major force on the defensive side for one of the most wildly successful staffs in recent history.
4. He's low-profile and doesn't carry the baggage that Les Miles does.
5. He's been a part of a more consistently successful program than Hoke has.
6. He experience recruiting and coaching on the collegiate level, unlike Gruden.
7. As HC, he would presumably bring in someone running an offense like Florida's, which would fit our personnel.
...there are serious negatives as well, particularly lack of head coaching experience, and only one year as "co-DC." These may be prohibitive, a question I kick over to you. If so, however, would he be a good DC candidate for our next HC?