Angelique Chengelis has a new DetNews.com Big Ten Blog entry with quotes from Greg Mattison that didn't make an upcoming article she's writing. Here they are for your reading pleasure:
- On Hoke: "He's completely sincere. There's no B.S. in him. What it is, is what it is. This is the Brady Hoke way " full-bore, straight ahead. They're getting a real guy. When I heard his comment that he would crawl to Michigan ... Michigan is one of those places that you put all the other stuff aside, and you say I'm going to go there because it's Michigan. That's what he's bringing back."
- On the Michigan coach staff: "Michigan running backs coach Fred (Jackson) and I came to Michigan together from Navy. (Linebackers coach) Mark Smith, I've always had great respect for him. (Offensive coordinator) Al Borges ... I coached against him in the SEC. He's tough."
- On keeping tabs on Hoke: "I watched San Diego State (where Hoke was head coach the last two seasons), because I'm such a Brady Hoke fan. My wife and I got the (television) package so we could watch games, and we were able to watch three games this year. We'd put the alarm on so we could watch the San Diego State games. One time, I said,'Ah, man, the guy's doing an unbelievable job,' and my wife look at me and said, 'Of course, why wouldn't he?'"
- On Michigan hiring Hoke: "When they were deciding who to hire, I kept saying to myself, 'What did they think when Bo came? They probably said the same thing about Bo."
- On encountering Bo Schembechler: "I remember when I was there and Bo would come down to the copy room and you'd be nervous when you'd walk in there. Then he'd say something like, 'You're doing a really good job, and you'd walk out like you're eight-feet tall."
- On what to expect from Michigan's defense: "You've got to have tremendous pride in your defense and not give up points. That's the backbone."
If those were the quotes that ended up on the cutting room floor, the article should be chock full of some really good stuff.