#7 Michigan vs #3 Western Michigan (U-M wins series 2-0)
-Michigan came out of the locker room and totally dominated Western from start to finish 5-1 to advance to Joe Louis Arena for the 24th(!) straight season. they are absolutely ROLLING at the moment. They outshot WMU 29-23 going 1-3 on the PP while killing off all 5 WMU power plays. Racine was fantastic in goal. Kevin Lynch, Sinelli, DeBlois, and Guptill (who had 2) were the M goal scorers. Western Michigan was #13 in the pairwise and these two losses probably eliminate them from the NCAA Tournament.
#9 Bowling Green vs #2 Notre Dame (ND wins series 2-0)
-Notre Dame completes the sweep by holding off Bowling Green 4-3 in South Bend. ND outshot BG 34-32. Both teams converted two power plays each. ND scored twice in the first and were answered by two BG goals in the second. ND took another two goal lead with 8 minutes to go, but BG scored 13 seconds later to make things interesting. However, Notre Dame held them off the scoreboard the rest of the way to advance to Joe Lous next weekend.
#5 Ferris State vs #4 Ohio State (series tied 1-1)
-Ohio State fought off elimination tonight by beating Ferris 3-1. Ferris scored 3 minutes into the game but could not put anymore into the OSU net as the Buckeyes would score the next three for force a game three tomorrow evening in Columbus. Ohio State outshot Ferris 38-28. Both teams coverted one power play each.
#11 Michigan State vs #1 Miami (series tied 1-1)
- MSU scored 20 seconds into the game, but Miami scored the next 4 to even their best of three series at one. Miami dominated most of the game outshooting State 37-17. Miami failed on their only power play of the game (a 5 minute major) while State scored on 1 of 4. Miami did score shorthanded though. Game 3 will take place tomorrow evening in Oxford.
Michigan and Notre Dame have already punched tickets to Joe Louis next weekend, but will have to wait until tomorrow night to see who they will play:
- Miami and Ohio State win: U-M vs Miami and ND vs OSU
- Miami and Ferris State win: U-M vs Miami and ND vs FSU
- Michigan State and Ohio State win: U-M vs OSU and ND vs MSU
- Michigan State and Ferris State win: U-M vs FSU and ND vs MSU
I will post the final matchups tomorrow once the two game threes go final. Both Semifinals should be televised on Fox Sports Detroit (last I checked), but times will be determined later in the week.